GO!

Hot temps outside for my outdoor stray/feral cat

Share advice for keeping your aging cat happy and healthy

Old Bud

Purred: Sat Jul 7, '12 3:43pm PST 
Ive been searching for help for my two, somewhat feral cats I have taken care of for 4 years or so. One of my cats, Old Bud, was recently taken to the vets as it was getting sick and gaging but it wasnt hair. The vet told me he was an old cat and that his heart was enlarged and had water around his lungs. He is now on medication to help relive his problems.
My bigger question/issue is....the temperatures here in Illinois is now at 110 and Im so worried about this older cat dieing. He does not like being inside although at one time he must have been an indoor cat as he is fixed and declawed. Anyhow, outside of putting numerouse water bowls outside for him, is there anything else I can do? I know both cats seem to find shade under decks and sheds, but with the heat Im very concerned. I noticed him breathing from his mouth yesterday, but calmed down once I brought him in for the short time he would allow. Please let me know.
Thanks
[notify]

Stella

Stella- Felinis--Queen- of All Kitties!

Purred: Sat Jul 7, '12 9:46pm PST 
It's Stella. I was a feral cat in the summer, although it was not nearly as hot then [2006] as it is now. My person didn't know where I went during the hot parts of the day, but there are a lot of woods and shade and a creek near, so I could go and lay on the wet sand if I wanted to. I was just a young cat then, so it was a lot easier. Delyte ran off into the woods when he was ten and recovering from an operation, and we don't know where he went either, or how he survived. He was covered with fleas when he returned and seemed really happy to be in the air conditioning again.

I am not sure what the cat will allow you to do for him. Cats naturally seek out warm and dry rather than cool and wet, so even if you put a damp towel outside for him to lay on, he probably will not lay on it. They tell you to hose down outside animals in this heat, but very few cats will tolerate this. If he will allow you to get him wet without getting angry at you, that's an idea.

The worst of the heat wave is supposed to break tomorrow night, so we hope he can make it through that. You do realize that if he feels that he is ill, he is likely to go out and hide and not come back, rather than coming home to you to die. It is just the cat way, and you cannot take it personally or feel that you have failed the cat. We lost a feral cat that way, and we never found out what happened to her, which is very hard on people.

Most vets are not very good treating indoor outdoor cats. Our vet will no longer treat a cat who is allowed to go outside on his own. You are lucky to have found one that will work with you. We know how hard it is to keep an outdoor cat indoors even when it's best for him--you can't explain it to the cat!

Good luck getting through this and through the illness. We are all purring for you, having all been feral kittens here. hug
[notify]

Maizy

I may meow to- you if you're- worthy

Purred: Sun Jul 8, '12 3:29pm PST 
I had the same issue here. We too live in Illinois. I have 3 adults, 1 almost adult & had 12 kittens various ages that I have been feeding. I froze water in old plastic containers & put the big ice blocks in their water bowls. I noticed them even laying next to those water bowls. They really seemed to like the frozen water. I made sure there was shade. I also took some of their kibble & mixed it with a can of wet food & water to make a soup. They snarfed it up ( I did not want it to sit & spoil, but they ate it right away) & I knew that they all got some extra water in them. Many of them were panting too. Luckily, there is a small section by my back alley that has a few trees & shrubs, so they were laying in there on the dirt. I felt so bad for them too. I think I lost 1 kitten though, but I keep hoping to see her.
[notify]

Stella

Stella- Felinis--Queen- of All Kitties!

Purred: Sun Jul 8, '12 10:16pm PST 
It's Stella. Our person was feeding feral cats and kittens in the summer, and she thought that several of the kittens had disappeared--my brother and sister, and two from another litter that my Momcat had. Recently it turned out that there are at least two cats who live up the street who look like them, so it is possible that someone decided that they needed a cute little kitten! It's better to think of than other, grimmer alternatives.

Great that your cats take to ice. I've tried it on my indoor and outdoor cats and they seemed to be afraid of ice in the water. Hope everyone enjoys the break in the weather--it's already cooler here than it has been for two weeks, but no rain so far.
[notify]

Sugar Mae

Black- Pearl,

Purred: Thu Jul 26, '12 9:11am PST 
relieved My Nommie was in same purrdic-ament with me , I was declawed, lived outside under a R.V. trailer for about 4-5 yrs. it took noms awhile of bringing me in and not letting me out until she wanted too or I got ready to eat noms before she would let me out, I bellowed alot and she would hold me & tell me it was O.k.When I did go outside with my feral defender Morso he was 14 & I was 8, she made an insulated cat house with a bed & would put a wet towel in our bed, we were hot & we really liked it in. She put ice cubes & some gatorade in our water.(Don't know how she got the gators in there shrug And she also would bring us in and wipe us down with a wet cloth. WE cats do not pant to keep cool like a dog, we sweat through our feet we don't have some kind of regulator Noms says. I no longer want anything to do with outside it took her about 4 mos. straight of bringing me in but I would not go outside now for anything cuz someone cut my toes off & I can't climb or defend myself & my feet hurt a lot outside it's much softer inside.BE VIGILANT & you can make this cat an inside cat were it belongs.If you need any pointers on how to deal with declawed cats & how to make life easier inside, Noms says let her know & she will give you some pointers what ever they are.Purrs to you.kitty
[notify]