GO!

Distressed and torn...

Share advice for keeping your aging cat happy and healthy

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4  
Twinkie

Purred: Sun May 27, '12 8:47pm PST 
My 17 year old cat, Twinkie, was diagnosed 2 years ago with hyperthyroidism and CRF. She has been on Tapazole (two tablets daily) and Enalapril (one tablet daily). Unfortunately, due to financial difficulties, we are unable to keep up her medication at this time, and even before that decision was made, it didn't seem to be helping much. Now, she alternates between sleeping in her kitty bed and hiding in a corner under my desk (with her face turned into the corner). When she's on the bed, she purrs a lot (while breathing deeply) and reaches out to me often. Sometimes she will climb on my chest and just lie there looking at me, other times she stays in her bed refusing to meet my gaze. Her appetite, while still there, has decreased. She used to demand food constantly. Now, she will eat a small amount when I put the food out for her, but will only eat two pouches/cans of food per day where before she was eating 3-4, sometimes more. She still uses her litterbox, but sometimes misses the mark. Her coat is unkempt and comes out in large clumps when I brush or comb her, and she just does not look healthy and happy to me anymore. I'm planning to take her into the vet next week if she does not improve, but I don't want to prolong her misery any longer than I have to. I've only been through this once before, but at the time, I had no way to bring that cat to the vet, so he died at home, and yes, he suffered very much. I don't want Twinkie to suffer. Does it sound like it's time for her, or could she still be happy?
[notify]

BooBoo

headed for the- light.

Purred: Sun May 27, '12 8:57pm PST 
hug Meowma knew I felt bad for quite a while before she let me go; I think it sounds like you are about ready to come see me here at the Bridge, but only your mommy knows...ask her to clear her mind, brathe deep and think about how you are acting and then she will know what is the right thing; my Meowma thought it was selfish to keep me here for her, not me.
[notify]

Orange Ruffy

The Baboo Kitty- has Spoken!

Purred: Mon May 28, '12 5:01am PST 
We are optimists, and believe where there is life, there is hope. I would say this....medication and vet care can help. If it's a money problem, we don't know where you live, but there are places you can go to see a vet that are lower cost. Some animal societies have lower cost clinics, and some have funds for those who are on fixed incomes. Mommy found a vet on Long Island that is good, and though it means a trip on the railroad for daddy with one of us, it might save us some money for some things they do it.

Also, sometimes talking to a vet they can give options. As we get older, our medical needs change....and as we stated, we're optimiists and don't give up easily.

We send so many purrs to you.

As an olde furt, and elderwise cat, your girl knows you love her. I would really suggest you check into seeing if there are any programs that will work with you for helping your girl.

love,
Ruffy
[notify]

Percy

always has time- to lick your- face

Purred: Mon May 28, '12 11:30am PST 
Twinkie, your story is heartbreaking. Thyroid is manageable, but renal failure is not. It sounds like with your appetite decreasing, things probably are taking a turn for the worst. Your mom will know when you are saying your goodbye, and we pray your transition is easy.
[notify]

Natasha

Princess Forever

Purred: Mon May 28, '12 11:36am PST 
Orange Ruffy gave good advice. As she long as she is purring and climbing on you, she still wants to be with you. She does need her meds so please get them. My Natasha lived a long life too and passed over at seventeen years plus. She had cancer and I made the choice before she suffered.
This is an important decision that you can not change. I knew that Natasha's time was almost over and she didn't have quality of life. I didn't have to ask others. My heart knew the answer. It was difficult because she was my sweetie and gave me so much loving over the years. It still hurts to remember but I made a good decision. When you keep them for you, it is time. Natasha no longer want to cuddle or get on the bed. She was retreating. Like you, I didn't want her to pass at home in distress or pain so I took her in. I was there with you along side my husband and daughter. We held her paw and ten seconds later, she was gone.....If you need us, we are here for you. I gave myself several days before the final decision was made. Don't go alone if you decide this is the time. See what the vet has to say. Again, if she is still loving you, it may not be her time.....you will know....
[notify]

Twinkie

Purred: Mon May 28, '12 2:41pm PST 
She spent all night last night sleeping under my desk, and that's where she is right now. She's still not eating much, but is drinking, and I woke to find my favorite blue jeans soaked with urine - on the other side of the room from the litter box, which is cleaned daily. I'm not rushing into any decisions, but I don't want to keep her around and suffering just for me, I agree that is selfish. I also don't want to give up before it's time, so I'm waiting to see if she gives me a sign.
[notify]

Rory

little red- biscuit head

Purred: Mon May 28, '12 7:10pm PST 
Twinkie,we are all so very sorry, but the wet jeans ARE a sign....little angel purrs and prayers for you to be at ease soon.
[notify]

Chiquitita

Sing a new- song...

Purred: Tue May 29, '12 2:22pm PST 
We have no words of wisdom, however, we give you our hearts...
hug
[notify]

Rocky

The Rockstar

Purred: Wed May 30, '12 7:22pm PST 
Twinkie your story hits close to home. My mom has taken care of a lot of cats growing up. Even one that had hyperthyroidism CRF and heart disease. Always seek your vets advice. Of course mom knows us best..... Usually not eating is sign that things are getting worse. Our purrs go out to you. Keep us posted.
[notify]

Patch

Patch - wallpaper- stripper

Purred: Thu May 31, '12 12:14am PST 
Many PUUUUUURS from us, mom has had to make that decision many times and it dosen't get easier. You will know when it's time and it seems to me that it is now.

Whatever you decide, we are all here for you.hughughug
[notify]

(Page 1 of 4: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  4