GO!

Arthritis in old cats...any thoughts on treatment, please?

Share advice for keeping your aging cat happy and healthy

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Lillian

I get cuddles- 'on tap'......

Purred: Thu May 3, '12 6:58am PST 
Auntie Miss Lillie is 11 years old and she has arthritis in her two front legs......my vet wants to give her Metacam.....I suppose it will be long-term....but I am not happy about this.....(I've heard lots of bad things about Metacam for cats)...

What about glucosamine, Chondroitin sulfate and MSM....does this sound better?

Any thoughts and advice would be welcome.....

Thank you...

Jan (and Auntie Miss Lillie)
[notify]

Bella My- Beautiful- Angel

Mommys Kitty- Girl! I know- I\'m loved!

Purred: Thu May 3, '12 7:27am PST 
I am on cosaquin, and you know what, Ruffy gets it too sometimes, when his front leg hurts him. Natalie may be going on it as she appears to have a bit of arthritis too.

Mom is also, when things get better finacially, getting accupuncture for me. She's heard only good things and she gets it to keep her own arthritis in check.

With many purrs....
Bella
[notify]

Sigmund - Angel DB- #58A

Sweet Boy

Purred: Thu May 3, '12 12:11pm PST 
Hi Lillian - glad to meet you. Things like Cosequin and Dasuquin can be very helpful, and I take it every day. However, at 16 years old my joints are pretty worn out and my front legs bow out. X-rays say it's bone on bone and then you need pain medicine to help you deal with it.

I take gabapentin, it's a human medicine and I get it compounded just for me (not to mention it helps with my pancreatitis and IBD issues too). Before I took this medicine, I could barely get around, now I walk around in the yard on nice days.

Good luck to you!
[notify]

Tigger

Knead softly &- carry a big purr

Purred: Thu May 3, '12 2:05pm PST 
I posted this on your other thread in health, but I figured I would repost it here too! Cosequin does have the condroitin in it too.

You could try Cosequin for Cats. I personally use it to reduce inflammation in my kittie's bladder, but it actually is for arthritis & it is recommended by the vet. They are capsules that you can either give like a pill or open & sprinkle in their food - they are tuna/chicken flavor. Works easy to stir in the wet food, and whith dry you can sprinkle on top & kind of shake the food around in the bowl til it gets coated with the powder. I get a bottle of 80 caps for about $13 on Amazon. I am sure they have prescription meds, but you might want to give it a try as it is safe to use.
[notify]

Hopper

Get outta my- space!

Purred: Thu May 3, '12 5:20pm PST 
Hi Lillian and mom!
I am 13 and have only one front leg. I have really bad arthritis in that leg and it was failing, I couldn't stand up in my litter box. We have a family friend who is a vet and since it was a Saturday, late when this happened we called her instead of our regular vet. She prescribe Metacam, which my regular vet continues to prescribe now. Both vets agree it is hard on the kidneys, but if you don't have kidney issues and your vet checks your levels regularly, well, obviously we think it is okay. I also take two Glyco-Flex II treats daily. These treats have glucosamine and other natural ingredients that help with inflammation.
My mom has arthritis too, very bad, she knows the pain it causes and doesn't want me to suffer so she opts to give the Metacam, daily at a very, very low dose to help me manage the pain. I also have a heated bed, which I LOVE!
[notify]

Bijoux

sweetest cat- ever

Purred: Thu May 3, '12 8:08pm PST 
Cosequin is good. You could also ask your vet about precription diet hills j/d or royal canin mobility. I don't know about royal canin, but hills really works for arthritis, no matter how you feel about hills. It is expensive, but works! And it won't damage kidneys.
[notify]

Lillian

Purred: Fri May 4, '12 9:54am PST 
Dear Ones...Oh all Dear Ones who have responded....thank you so much....I am still not sure what will be best for the Auntie Miss Lillie......but it would SEEM to be that I must give her glucosamine and chondroitin and, perhaps, MSM...until she gets really bad, and then metacam......fair enough....she is 11 now and has, what? 6-7 years? with metacam towards the end....that's ok....

Dear Hopper...dear, dear Hopper....thank you, love you....be well......

Jan (and Auntie Miss Lillie)
[notify]

Lillian

Purred: Fri May 4, '12 9:57am PST 
ps...yes, thank you....the Royal Canin stuff is good (although expensive) Jim has it for his struvite crystal problem....and (touch wood) it works well for him....I will look up the Royal Canin stuff for mobility problems for Auntie Miss Lille....thank you.....

Jan
[notify]

Wilbur

The white is for- sugar

Purred: Fri May 4, '12 9:03pm PST 
Believe it or not, after Wilbur was diagnosed with arthritis in his left knee because of intermittant limping, he just needed a pain-killing shot and time. His regular vet said although the arthritis never goes away, the limping will stop,and it did. Otherwise I would have taken him back for medical treatment. But I must say it was scary because often arthritis becomes a problem in both knees, then other joints.
[notify]

Purred: Sat May 5, '12 11:38am PST 
We just recently started our cat on Cosequin, it's a sprinkle capsule that is tuna and chicken flavor, so you can sprinkle it on their wet food, or if they are only eating dry, you can moisten the dry food and sprinkle it on that. It cost us about $19.00 for a bottle with 55 capsules. Our cat is 14 years old and was limping and having trouble jumping up and down on the bed. This seems to be helping her, slowly, but surely. Good luck, hope you find something that helps!
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2