GO!

Keeping an old kitty healthy

Share advice for keeping your aging cat happy and healthy

(Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  
Alex (sweet- angel girl)

Angel on a- mission!

Purred: Thu Jan 12, '12 2:55pm PST 
It's super tough for those of us that had to learn these things the hard way too. For me anyway, it almost stings when I think about all the things I've learned SINCE Alex has passed away. I try not to dwell on it but sometimes you can't help yourself. "what if, what if, what if". It may not have even changed the outcome, I don't know. But she had a push in the wrong direction and by the time she came to live with me, the damage was already done. frown
[notify]

Mika

Purred: Sat Jan 14, '12 12:36pm PST 
Something else that helps is having blood work done regularly on a senior kitty. My Mom and Dad adopted me when I was 9 and they had blood work done immediately. It was a good thing they did because it showed I was in the beginning stages of kidney disease and had hyperthyroidism. I immediately went on meds for the hyperthyroidism and a prescription food that helped to maintain my kidney levels. I get blood work done twice a year to check my kidney values and things were very stable until this past fall, when the blood work showed my kidney disease is progressing. I now refuse to eat the prescription food and the vet says that's fine, as long as I eat something formulated for adult cats only. My Mom adds a phosphorus binder to my food twice a day and I'll be starting on subQ fluids soon.
[notify]

Wilbur

Match made in- Heaven

Purred: Mon Jan 23, '12 12:51pm PST 
I know wet food is better than dry food, but Emily would only eat dry. You can't do anything about that.

The one good thing is knowing she did not get kidney failure by eating melamine-tainted food. That recall happened after she died.

What I meant by dying naturally is not getting so sick the cat must be euthanized. Both Emily and Wilbur reached that point.

Is it unrealistic to assume Patricia definitely will not get sick?
[notify]

Kaci- Sunshine - Beloved- Angel

Sugar 'n Spice

Purred: Mon Jan 23, '12 4:11pm PST 
It's not unrealistic to think Emily may not get a disease or illness. Emily is 15 and still in good health and may remain in good health until old age overtakes her. It's a good idea to take Emily to the vet every 6 months for wellness exams and blood work even though nothing appears to be wrong now. If a disease should be starting, it's best to catch it in it's early stages. Many diseases, if caught early enough, are manageable, sometimes for years.

It's commendable that you're trying to do your best to keep Emily healthy. However, if you're doing all you can to keep her healthy and happy and taking her to the vet for routine health checks, then my advice is to relax and not to worry too much and simply enjoy Emily's company.

My cat Callie lived to 19 and was never sick. She died naturally although she was taken to the vet because my mom had never seen anyone die and didn't know Callie was in the act of dying and panicked. However she was gone by the time she got to the vet.

It seems like very few cats nowadays die naturally from old age. If Emily does get sick and has a terminal illness yet doesn't appear to be suffering or if you can bear watching her suffer as she's dying (some people can), you can let her die naturally. Having watched my cats in pain and suffering when dying from a terminal illness, I've never been able to bear having them suffer and have always chosen euthanasia as the most merciful way for them to go.
[notify]

Althea, PAWS

The Special,- Precious, Petite- PrinCESS

Purred: Tue Jan 24, '12 7:15am PST 
I'm probably old enough to be your mother, and I can tell you from my experience with nonhuman animals: it's a *rare* blessing to have them leave peacefully. I once had a horse who dropped dead in the field, probably from heart failure; if only they'd all go that way! Two cats passed "naturally" from kidney failure - one at age 5, one at age 10. One dog had a brain tumor and had to be sent to the Bridge; another had cancer and had to be sent. Very, very, *very* few animals of *any* species (including the human species) simply go to sleep and pass on. Illness is almost invariably part of it; as caregivers, it is up to us to decide when enough suffering is enough. We all hope that our furry friends will live long, long lives; ideally, we'd all leave together, but that is unrealistic. Illness is part of life - that's just the way it is. We can deny it, but that doesn't change it. I sometimes look at my six and wonder. . .how will they go? Then, of course, I push that thought out of my mind and concentrate on enjoying them today. I do the best I can for them with food and vet care; that's all I can do. The rest is in the Crator's hands.
[notify]

Bella My- Beautiful- Angel

Mommys Kitty- Girl! I know- I\'m loved!

Purred: Tue Jan 24, '12 10:28am PST 
Althea, beautifully said. Thank you.

What's that old saying....'it was the best of times, it was the worst of times...'
With my love Bella I feel this every day. She's 'up there' a tough little girl. She's eating better, but still has her infection. She's grumpy much of the time, and fiesty. She is on fluids, pepcid 2x a day, and azodyl. Some days are better than others.
I worry about the day when it's time to cross the Bridge, but I know that Bellas 'staff' at the vet clinic care deeply about her and will fight for her. I love my Bella much. She's been with me for so long. I know we are doing everything we can for her. Realistically, she'd be happier as an only cat, or maybe with one other. I sometimes feel guilty that she has so much to cope with the others...that eats me....but who would I have left out on the street or to be put down?

sometimes...you can only do the best you can,
Deb
Bella's mom
[notify]

Hanna *I- miss you my- big girl!

I miss you too- mom...

Purred: Wed Jan 25, '12 6:45am PST 
When I lost my Hanna, I did tons of research. I didn't even have a cat anymore, and I was researching nutrition, the meds she was on, her symptoms, anything that would help me understand what happened. It was a couple of years ago now, and at the time I never really spoke up or questioned anyone. I thought that vets were very smart, truthful people. Its sad to say that from Hannas death, I no longer trust vets. Except for the vets I have now. It took her death for me to speak up, to ask questions. I learned the hard way. Now with Hunter, I'm doing all I can to make him as healthy as possible.

As others have said, its unrealistic to think he could never get a brain tumor like Hanna had. Its not smart to think he'll never get a disease. However, I'm trying my hardest to prevent that if I can.

The best advice I can give you is always get a 2nd opinion, unless you trust your vet with your own life. Research everything from meds, to how much medicine, reviews of medication, alternative drugs etc. After my Hanna was gone, I found out that my previous vet gave her too much miligrams of the pill she was on, which caused Glaucoma in her eyes. This all let to a fast growing brain tumor. All of this started with a UTI.

All she ate was Science Diet, which led to her obiesity, that meant she couldn't clean herself, which led to the UTI. For Hanna, everything had a reason and a purpose. If I only knew SD was crap food, she would probably still be here with me. It took a long time for me to not blame myself, although inside, I still do. Now I have Hunter to distract me most days. I am going to do better for him. He deserves it.
[notify]

Delyte, Dark- Angel, at- Bridge

Me and my- person, together- against all

Purred: Thu Jan 26, '12 10:01am PST 
This is Delyte. Might I ask where you get phosphorus binder to put in cat food? I am struggling with CRF and hyperthyroid, and with three other young kitties, it is hard to keep me on any special diet, as I am hungry all the time. Our male person is on dialysis and he takes phosphorus binder after every meal, and he is doing great. But we don't think that Tums is good for cats, and it would be hard to get me to eat it. I like people food, but that is yucky.

We have had no cats in our family die naturally, except one that was hit by a car, and two who died in a fire. [One very old outdoor cat went out and never came back.] Unfortunately, a lot of the vets that our family members had would recommend putting a cat to sleep in the very early stages of an illness, and then force you to take a kitten home with you the same day. This sounds dreadfully old-fashioned and heartless, but it happened to our person's sister last year. Her old cat, the only one who survived the fire, was put to sleep and she was given two large and poorly trained kittens who have wrecked her condo and caused her a lot of physical pain. She was recovering from major back surgery at the time and could not keep up with the demands of kittens. She now feels she is stuck with these cats that she has not really bonded to for the rest of their lives. I hope that no one here gets involved with a vet who does this disrespectful practice. We are not "just a cat," and everyone deserves time to grieve.

Purrs to all! cat on moon
[notify]

Kaci- Sunshine - Beloved- Angel

Sugar 'n Spice

Purred: Thu Jan 26, '12 10:24am PST 
Delyte, you can order a tasteless powdered aluminum-based phosphorus binder that can be mixed in wet food from Thrivingpets.com. Aluminum-based binders are best for cats and Thriving Pets' product is very popular.
[notify]

Kosuteh

Biting means I- love you..- right?

Purred: Thu Jan 26, '12 10:45am PST 
I agree Delyte.

Our mommas and daddys grieve at losses, and it takes time to be able to accept another one into their lives after we go to the rainbow bridge. That vet doesn't sound like he has too good of bedside manner.
[notify]

(Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3