GO!

Hyperthyroidism >^..^

Share advice for keeping your aging cat happy and healthy

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Skye

Her Majesty

Purred: Fri Jul 22, '11 11:32am PST 
Mom said my vet says I have hyperthyroidism.
I am 14 years old.
I was losing weight and had no other symptoms (except that I was hungry ALL the time).
I went from 7.3 pds to 5.1
The vet gave me T-Tapazole (2.5 @ 2 times a day). I think the generic version is Methimazole.

Mom's really worried.

Anyone else here have Hyperthyroidism?frown
How long have you had it and how are you doing?
Thanks
[notify]

Alex (sweet- angel girl)

Angel on a- mission!

Purred: Fri Jul 22, '11 4:24pm PST 
I was borderline and the vet never gave me medicine but that's because I developed IBD, pancreatitis and fatty liver. My liver couldn't even handle medicine for the illnesses I had. Diet is a big factor. What are you feeding her? If you like, you can look at my website, www.ibdkitties.net. So many of the symptoms for what you have is similar to IBD and the treatments, other than the medicine being different, is the same (meaning diet changes, etc). I'm sure someone else will come on and talk about it, I know other kitties here who have it. thinking
[notify]

Skye

Her Majesty

Purred: Sat Jul 23, '11 7:37pm PST 
The vet ran a Geriatric Blood Test and she said it was 100% Hyperthyroidism.

Mom is worried about the meds and the amount as someone else said they did fine on half this dose.
[notify]

Kaci- Sunshine - Beloved- Angel

Sugar 'n Spice

Purred: Sat Jul 23, '11 8:03pm PST 
Skye, I was the one who posted in the cat health forum. Pocahontas (in loving memory) also posted a message in the cat health forums that she started out at the higher dose of methimazole and within two weeks she got sick and was hospitalized. Her kidneys crashed. They stopped the medication but a few weeks later she started the methimazole again but at the lower dose of 1.25 mg twice a day and it worked just fine.

If you mom is worried about the dose you're taking, she should talk to your vet about it.

Purring for you!
[notify]

M.J. (Angel- Dreamboat- #18)

Purred: Sun Jul 24, '11 2:07pm PST 
Hi Skye,

M.J. had a hyperthyroid. He was diagnosed at 11 years old and lived to be 16. This is a very common problem with older kitties. You actually have three treatment options you can research and talk to your vet about.

1) medication management for life
2) surgery to remove part of the thyroid
3) radioactive iodine treatment

Radioactive iodine treatment is the preferred treatment for hyperthyroid. In most cases - it is a CURE. Unfortunately it is expensive and will likely cost over $1,000. You would also have to travel to a referral center or teaching hospital specially equiped for this treatment. Kitties are often hospitalized for about a week or two for monitoring.

In M.J.'s case - I could not afford the cost of radioactive iodine and traveling. At that time, I was a college student. He had surgery, which was not unsuccessful. He was successfully maintained for the rest of his life on methamazole and his thyroid levels monitored by blood work.

If I ever have this come up in another kitty, I would definitely opt to be referred for radioactive iodine. I also now have pet insurance. If you can afford it, I would highly recommend radioactive iodine.
[notify]

Graciela - Makes-Blanke- ts-Breat

She-Who-Makes-Bl- ankets-Breathe

Purred: Sun Jul 24, '11 10:49pm PST 
Hi there!

I have Hyperthyroidism and have been on 5mg in the mornings and 2.5 in the evenings every day for ... well, since mommy adopted me!

With Hyperthyroidism, ya gotta go get a check up (blood work) every 6 months to see how it's working so it doesn't become toxic to your system. I like to take my medicine because I like Pill Pockets! hee!

I used to be on only 5mg 1 time a day, but the last check-up - the vet said I need to try an additional 1/2 at night and check it out again in 6 months.

I think once they are doing well for a couple years on the amount given, unless you see a change in behavior, or sudden weight gain/weight loss, you could probably do the test once a year.

I wish I could lose weight. Mommy free-feeds us, so we can munch any time we like.

2.5mg 2x/day sounds like a good start!

Keep in touch with me if you'd like to. I'm about due for my 6 month since the change in amount, but right now mommy is using CareCredit and only gets $500. After the check she just sent out clears, she has to have my brother, Fuzz (he's top-cat) his yearly dental from chronic gingivitis. (He had Bartonella and this is a symptom that stays.)

So from my feline point of view, and mom being Red Cross Certified in Dog and Cat first aid, 2.5mg 2x/day sounds like a really reasonable start. Just don't forget those 6-month blood-work check-ups to see where your T-4 is at!

Love and care,

Graciela
[notify]

Purred: Sun Jul 24, '11 10:57pm PST 
Hmmm, my long response didn't post. Odd!

Very quickly ('cause mommy has to sleep), I have hyperthyroid and take Methimazole, and have since mommy adopted me.

2.5mg 2x/day is a good start if the vet recommended it.

There are other treatments like radiation (of the entire body) which costs around $1,000- $1,500 that is a possible cure (nothing is certain). The most inexpensive is the medicine for life.

I have 6 special needs cats, lots of meds, but all are doing well.

Remember to get blood check-ups every 6 months (for sure) because it's the kind of drug that needs to have the blood levels (T-4 count) monitored.

I take 5mg in the a.m. and 2.5mg. in the p.m. I like my medicine time because mommy puts them in Pill Pockets! Yummmmm!

Edited by author Sun Jul 24, '11 11:03pm PST

[notify]

Purred: Sun Jul 24, '11 10:58pm PST 
Oops, sorry.

Didn't know there were posts beneath the huge space in between messages.

~ Graciela
[notify]

Pogo

Purred: Tue Jul 26, '11 6:41pm PST 
Hi,
My cat, Pogo, was just diagnosed with Hyperthyroidism. He is not doing well it seems due to side effects of the meds. I am so worried. I have already spent $1000 at the vet and one to the emergency room. Do any of you have any suggestions?
[notify]

Kaci- Sunshine - Beloved- Angel

Sugar 'n Spice

Purred: Wed Jul 27, '11 7:00pm PST 
Pogo, if you're experiencing side effects from your thyroid medication, please tell your vet. Maybe your dosage can be lowered and/or you can try the transdermal ear gel, which is less likely to cause side effects.

Purrs! Hope all turns out well!
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2