GO!

New to raw

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

Joey

Purred: Sat Apr 5, '14 12:56pm PST 
I am new to raw feeding and looking to connect with other, more experienced raw feeders.
I have decided to feed ground raw with a pre-mix for their main meals and offer them chunks of meat, heart and gizzard for their teeth. (I am interested in chicken necks as well but not sure where to get them and the young one has had chicken wing tips)

The good: They have taken to it well! They LOVE it. They have been on 90% canned only for years anyway. No real transition needed, but I did start offering them small amounts and worked up to meals (it has only been about a month since they started).
It is actually a lot cheaper than feeding two cats canned only.

The concerns:
I am paranoid someone is going to get sick, either from bacteria or a bone slicing their GI tract. I have searched for horror stories on the net but can't find any (just those who say don't do it but don't back it up with anything real)
I am paranoid the diet won't be balanced.
The young cat Mac has no heath concerns and Joey who will be 17 yrs old next month is generally healthy (heart, kidneys, thyroid, etc) but is on a low dose of prednisolone for eosinophilic keratitis. Some say don't feed raw to cats on steroids, others say they haven't had a problem.
So far everything has gone well, I don't understand why I am so nervous with all the success stories I have seen!
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Sat Apr 5, '14 6:24pm PST 
If you use a good premix such as TC Feline or Alnutrin, you don't have to worry about an unbalanced diet at all way to go Pre-mixes have all of the esssential vitamins and minerals a cat needs smile

A butcher shop would have chicken necks and organs and stuff you might need. A regular supermarket may have some of these. If you buy a whole raw chicken to cook for your own dinner, the neck bone is usually included with the bag that has the liver and gizzards. You can order raw meats and bones and stuff from Hare-Today.com

Cooked bone will splinter easily so don't feed that at all. Raw bone is fine to give. Most cats will just gnaw on the bone. Any small bone fragment that is broken off and ingested won't cause any harm.

A cat's stomach can handle bacteria pretty well smile As long as you buy your raw meast from a reputable source and use safe raw meat handling practices, there's nothing to worry aboutway to go

BK can tell you more about frankenprey raw food smile
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Sun Apr 6, '14 4:47am PST 
Welcome Joey! Merlin is right - if you're feeding ground with a premix there's no danger of an unbalanced diet. If you move on to Frankenprey the trick is to provide variety so that all their nutritional needs are met, along with the 80/10/5/5 breakdown. I have one cat on steroids for IBD and one on an immune suppressant for allergies and we've never had an issue with bacteria. Their bodies are just designed for this food!
[notify]

Joey

Purred: Sun Apr 6, '14 6:26am PST 
Thanks for the support.
I am using the TC feline mix. I have heard people talk about the expense of it, but I am in Canada and it seems to be a bit cheaper than in the US (only cents a day for 2 cats), also easy for me to get with regards to shipping, etc. That leaves places like Hare-Today out for me. I am trying to find similar places in my area.
Luckily my sister has a small farm with beef, chicken, turkey and duck. So I am able to source some things from her. They only get the necks back with their turkey, so I am trying to get the chicken necks when they have those processed (usually only twice a year).
I will try to worry less about the steroid situation, and the raw bones!
I am using safe handling practice but I guess I am not used to so much raw meat in my kitchen so often! (and the cats dragging the gizzards across the floor!) They do enjoy it.
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Tue Apr 8, '14 4:55pm PST 
Some pet stores sell frozen raw bones. There are various commercial brands. Nature's Variety is one.
[notify]