GO!

Senior Kitty Fed Raw

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

DeeJay

Serve me and all- shall be well!

Purred: Sat Feb 15, '14 2:39pm PST 
So I have a senior kitty 14 & 1/2 years old who has severe arthritis with muscle wasting in her back end, and also has early stage kidney disease. I am switching her over to raw (at my vets recommendation) and just was wondering if there was anything specific I had to watch out for. I know feed low phosphorus, but anything else? Is there anything else that I need to feed or that I can feed to help her gain some muscle mass back? Or will raw feeding in and of itself help with that? She has been on raw only for about 7 days now and is doing really well with eating it. I have only had to mix canned in for a couple of her meals.

Edited by author Sat Feb 15, '14 2:40pm PST

[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Sun Feb 16, '14 3:56am PST 
I think low phosphorus is the only thing you have to worry about. How great that you're trying raw and that she's eating it at her age!
[notify]

DeeJay

Serve me and all- shall be well!

Purred: Fri Feb 21, '14 7:59pm PST 
Quick Update. DeeJay is doing amazing. We are watching the phosphorus and feeding boneless with the eggshells added in for calcium as per the holistic vets recommendations. I love how easily DeeJay transitioned over to raw, she is eating every meal quick fast, and in a hurry which is MUCH better than she was doing on canned food, she'd eat maybe 1/4 of her meal and then walk away. She has an empty dish at each meal with raw. She also isn't eating herself like she was. She skin is improving a lot on her tummy.
[notify]

BK

Purred: Sat Feb 22, '14 3:35am PST 
This is great news! Congrats on doing such a good job!
[notify]

Sexy Jessie- AKA Oreo- Brother

Jessie is quite- a character he- silly.

Purred: Fri Mar 7, '14 12:32am PST 
I would love to feed my cats a raw food diet. I have learned a little bit about a cats raw diet but I'm a little concerned about how expensive and hard would it be, considering I have 6 cats? shock
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Fri Mar 7, '14 9:09am PST 
Jessie, see these threads for some info on how much it costs to feed a raw diet:
http://www.catster.com/forums/Raw_Food_Diet/thread/773661
http://www.catster.com/forums/Raw_Food_Diet/thread/759952

Definitely read more about raw food diets before you get started way to go Catinfo.org and http://www.catnutrition.org/ are two good web sites way to go

Decide what kind of raw you want to feed: homemade using a recipie (like in the links above), semi-homemade (use a premix such as TC Feline with raw meats of your choice), frankenprey, or commerical raw pet food. Just giving the cats chunks of raw meat and nothing else is not a complete balanced diet.
[notify]

BK

Purred: Fri Mar 7, '14 1:48pm PST 
Jessie, it can actually be cheaper to feed raw, depending on what you're feeding now. It takes a little effort but the payoff is so worth it! Do some research and come back with any questions and we'll be glad to help.
[notify]