GO!

Why shouldn't I mix raw and canned in one meal?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

Kaylee &- Amelia

Snuggly Sisters!

Purred: Sun Feb 9, '14 8:26pm PST 
I have heard several people say not to combine both raw and canned food in the same meal. Why is this? Does anyone know of any articles explaining why with documented reasoning?

Kaylee and Amelia have begun to get a little picky with their NVI and Primal raw medallions, so I have been mixing them with some Almo canned food and then they gobble it up. Just wanting to make sure I'm not harming them in any way by feeding both at the same meal.
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Mon Feb 10, '14 4:27am PST 
Raw and canned in the same meal is fine. It's raw and kibble that shouldn't be mixed because of the different digestive rates. Raw moves through their digestive system quickly, while dry moves slowly. Raw food backed up behind dry could cause bacteria to build. You're fine - no worries!
[notify]

Kaylee &- Amelia

Snuggly Sisters!

Purred: Tue Feb 11, '14 7:32am PST 
Thanks BK! I guess I thought people were saying kibble or canned mixed with raw was bad. My eventual plan is to slowly add less and less canned to the raw. Amelia is just so darn picky!
[notify]