GO!

Considering raw. Need grain free and kidney cat balanced.

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

Good Golly- Miss Molly- Mo McCud

Purred: Sun Feb 2, '14 9:59pm PST 
I have early stage kidney disease.
Tie Dye could stand to lose a pound or two. (Yeah, I said it!)
Ishka stinks if she eats anything with grains in it. The stolen Cheeze-it she stole from me caused 2 days of noxious gas so bad Mama left the room.
Phantom, the kitten, eats everything, but "looks like skin and bones" Mama says.

So, Mama thinks that in my old age, I should get a better diet than I had eating out of dumpsters back when I had all my teeth. The fact that there's no keeping the other three out of my bowl means they'll get it too. (Uggh, kittens!)

What does she need to know to spoil me in healthy, appropriate ways?
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Tue Feb 4, '14 4:10am PST 
A raw diet would benefit all of your cats but you have to be careful with the CKD kitty. His diet needs to be low in phosphorus, so it shouldn't have bones but your other cats' should. Read through catinfo.org and see if that answers your questions. Once you're ready to get started we'll be happy to help!
[notify]

Purred: Sat Feb 8, '14 12:12am PST 
She read it, so what she's supposed to just go buy raw meat and bones and maybe some fish oil capsules and start mixing? Is it really that simple?
[notify]

BK

Purred: Sun Feb 9, '14 4:26am PST 
It really isn't difficult! Follow that recipe with the supplements she suggests and you're all set. You can also get meat already ground with bones and organs from Hare-Today.
[notify]

Purred: Thu Feb 20, '14 12:32am PST 
Apparently there's a local rabbit farmer she could buy from, and some chicken/pork/lamb/beef farmers that don't use "junk", she says. The grinder's the problem so she'd have to find me one.

And what do I make her buy for my "training treats" since she uses the clicker thing to tell me I'm perfect and deserve food? Do those dried fish flakes count as 'raw'?
[notify]

BK

Purred: Thu Feb 20, '14 9:20am PST 
You could ask those farmers if they would grind for you. I don't know if they have grinders but it's worth a shot. Anything freeze dried without additives or preservatives is fine to use as treats. I use chicken hearts and gizzards as treats because they're big favorites here.
[notify]

DeeJay

Serve me and all- shall be well!

Purred: Fri Feb 21, '14 7:57pm PST 
For my kidney cat the holistic vet recommended the boneless version of the diet with the eggshells added for calcium. She is 14 years old and doing amazing on raw.
[notify]