GO!

Raw for heart disease?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

Munchie

Was that the can- opener?

Purred: Tue Jan 28, '14 1:16pm PST 
My Munchie was recently diagnosed with a bad heart, he has fluid buildup and his heart is enlarged with not the normal shape. We are saving up for an ultrasound so we can determine exactly what's going on. Anyhow, he has since decided he doesn't need to eat cat food (canned or dry) any more so I have decided to make the switch to Raw Food for him. Right now he weighs 15# and should probably weigh 12# so I am going to do 2% of the 12# a day. I am going to follow Dr. Pierson's (catinfo) diet for the most part adding in additional supplements for his heart condition. I do not have a grinder so am just going to use my ninja and no bones except will do several boney meals a week. I do something similar with my chihuahua and that makes it easier on her as she will not touch organs otherwise. Munchie can't handle any beef, even 1 speck of ground beef makes him barf about 5-10 minutes later. So will it be okay to not feed him beef? I do a wide variety with my chihuahua. I already started him this morning with bone in cornish hen and he inhaled it. So I don't think transitioning him is going to be too difficult. He has 2 vets (one is my dad who is semi-retired) and my dad is on board with raw, but the other vet doesn't agree with it. But it is my choice and I know it is best for my boy. If he transitions successfully I will probably transition my other 4 kitties as well. I calculated the costs and it will definitely be cheaper to feed raw over the canned they are getting now.
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Tue Jan 28, '14 1:45pm PST 
I think it's a great idea if he'll eat it! And you absolutely do not have to feed beef. You should only feed meats that agree with him. Keep us posted on how it goes.
[notify]

Munchie

Purred: Sat Feb 1, '14 7:38pm PST 
so far he is doing terrific on raw. He is eating it with gusto and has even lost some weight (he needs to lose about 3#) so I am a very happy mama. So far he is just eating chicken. But I have all his supplements in the mix which makes life lots easier.
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Sun Feb 2, '14 4:15am PST 
That's great news! I'm glad he's taking to it so well.
[notify]

Munchie

Purred: Sat Feb 15, '14 2:37pm PST 
So far the transition is going well. He is eating pretty good and even had a dime sized piece of a beef roast without barfing it up. We are just feeding chicken right now but I am excited to start adding additional proteins in.
[notify]