GO!

Senior Kitty Enjoying Raw Food

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

Purred: Wed Jan 15, '14 3:26pm PST 
I am just starting out with the raw diet for my 12 year old Roger who has eaten mostly kibble, and a little canned for his entire life.

Roger was happy to give up kibble, contrary to many folks' experiences. He loves his canned food.

I bought him a cornish game hen and some chicken gizzards. I cut the game hen up, bones and all, with the kitchen shears and froze it. I give him a couple of thawed pieces of it for his mid-day snack.

It really touches my heart to see how happy he is to get the raw food. He does a little dance with front paws raised as I set the dish down. So sweet! He looks like a little black panther shredding his meat. His teeth seem to be good. He has no problem dispatching the food.

Through all the years and cats gone by, I thought I was doing right by them by feeding a "quality kibble". I can't remember now where I got the idea that kibble was best. Anyway, I plan to eventually get Roger eating only raw. I want to learn exactly what I need to do to achieve a balanced diet for him. Until then, he will get some canned along with his raw. cat on moon
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Thu Jan 16, '14 11:16am PST 
This is wonderful to hear. Some people have trouble switching adult cats to raw, and here's a senior kibble kitty taking right to it! Let us know if you have any questions about the balanced diet and we'll all be happy to help!
[notify]

Purred: Fri Jan 17, '14 11:57am PST 
Is there a website or a post on here that gives the basic info about concocting a "frankenPrey" diet? I have read bits and pieces, but would like to see it all in one place. I have read the one about the ground meat diet, but I am leaning towards the whole meat diet.
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Sat Jan 18, '14 7:01am PST 
I did an article for ibdkitties.net on raw feeding that may help. It covers both ground and Frankenprey but it's a start: http://www.ibdkitties.net/rawinstructions.html
[notify]

Purred: Sat Jan 18, '14 4:43pm PST 
Thanks. Your article is very helpful. I just need to be brave - after all, Roger is brave enough to try the raw meat.

Roger frequently sits at the bar next to my husband who gives him little bites of various things that he is eating. Maybe that has helped Roger to be willing to try different things. Cats being cats, this is probably wishful thinking on my part...cat on moon this little emoticon looks just like Roger.
[notify]