GO!

Our story, and a few questions (at the end)!

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

Purred: Tue Jan 14, '14 3:03am PST 
Hello everyone. I have been reading a lot of conversations on this website for a few weeks now, and it is fantastic. Some great advice!

We picked up our cat, Hera (snow spotted bengal, 15 years old, ex-breeding queen) from the cattery two weeks ago, after going away over Christmas and gave her her normal commercial cat food. 24 hours of cat diarrhoea EVERYWHERE, trip to the vets and steroid injection later, I decided enough was enough. Vet concluded cat IBD as she had previously had all sorts of checkups and tests and they couldn't find anything wrong with her apart from this unexplainable diarrhoea outside of her litter tray. After we came back from the vets we tried giving her her food again and she had immediate diarrhoea both times. It was like her own food was poisoning her. Poor Hera. We couldn't carry on like that.

So, desperate to find something that wouldn't provoke the same reaction, I started researching, and found this forum. Tried her on some raw pork, she LOVED it, waited, no diarrhoea. Tried her on some raw chicken, she LOVED it, waited, no diarrhoea. Tried her on some raw beef, she LOVED it, waited, VOMIT AND DIARRHOEA! So, we deduced that she had become intolerant to beef, and I had decided that raw food was the way to go.

Anyway, we have been experimenting this week to find out what she will eat and keep inside her. All looking good, apart from the beef. She LOVED lamb heart. It was so nice to see her chewing away on raw meat chunks (she only has four teeth left). She also has more energy, is happier, and is doing solid poos for the first time since we got her 7 years ago. So, I have prepared a few weeks' worth of food and popped it in the freezer. After much deliberation I used the frankenprey model: 80% muscle meat incl. a little heart, 5% crushed and chopped chicken wing bones, 5% liver, 5% kidney.

I have two questions then. The first is that she is SO hungry all of the time. We previously left cat biscuits down for her to graze on, but on the raw food she's getting one meal in the morning, and one in the evening. I calculated the exact amount according to her weight, and we weighed her before and after the raw food two weeks, and if anything she has gained a little weight because she is finally absorbing the nutrients in her food. I am giving her 3% of her body weight. Is she just enthusiastic about the raw food and wants more due to greed or do we need to feed her more? Or is she just getting used to the new routine?

So my next question is about taurine. Now I have seen that a lot of people supplement the raw food with taurine when it is GROUND and frozen because it oxidises, but do you think we need to supplement Hera's food with taurine if it is frozen in small chunks with heart in every meal?

I hope you can help.

Hera's Human
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Tue Jan 14, '14 3:45am PST 
First, congrats on getting Hera and wanting to do the best for her. She's a lucky girl!

It's less common for a raw fed cat to be hungry all the time because the diet is usually very satisfying (as opposed to a kibble fed cat who is eating a species inappropriate diet). It doesn't sound as if she's not getting enough food if she's gained a little weight. Perhaps you could use bits of hearts or gizzards as treats between meals to keep her feeling fuller? Or maybe her begging is more psychological than physical? Perhaps she was just used to feeling hungry and learned behaviors that would get her more food?

I wouldn't worry about taurine if you have hearts, dark meat poultry and/or red meat in her diet. She's getting enough.
[notify]

Hera

I love my- humans, and only- my humans

Purred: Tue Jan 14, '14 4:14am PST 
Thanks for your quick response. Just realised, I meant to write 10% bones, whoops! She is indeed one very lucky retired lady - she was kept in an outdoor breeding cage for the first part of her life, and now she's a retired indoor cat. We're her first (and only!) humans. I think we'll have to try the treats option if she doesn't settle down this week, or maybe split her food into three sittings. It's quite sad because usually she'll get on our laps as soon as we sit down, but she's just sitting by her food bowl constantly.
[notify]

Hera

I love my- humans, and only- my humans

Purred: Tue Jan 14, '14 4:21am PST 
Good news about the taurine.
[notify]