GO!

Please help my human establish a raw diet?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

Schrödi- nger

Come play with- me!

Purred: Tue Nov 19, '13 6:47am PST 
Hello,
I was told to come here for help, as my human would LOVE to put my kitty sister Chiqui and I on a raw food diet but we have a series of inconvenient:
- Very limited freezing place (we only have a freezer area incorporated to the fridge).
- No meat grinder.
- No possibility to buy commercial raw cat food (we live in Spain and the ones sold are TERRIBLE).
So this considered we are not sure what to do, as all the good diets we encounter involve grinding and we don't have a grinder, also some of the needed ingredients are purchased in large quantities which we cannot stock. The only easy do-able ones we have seen are not balanced.
What raw diet can our human make with these inconvenients? For now we eat good canned food.
But raw is best and my older sister Chiqui is starting to have dental plaque so she needs bone.

Edited by author Tue Nov 19, '13 6:49am PST

[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Thu Nov 21, '13 5:02am PST 
You can do this! You don't need a grinder and although the lack of freezer space is an inconvenience, the fact that the cats don't have underlying health issues means that you can buy your meat at a regular grocery store or specialty store. First see if your cats will eat chunked meat and bones. You should try a variety of muscle meats. For bone, start small. Try chicken necks, ribs, wings - small bones. You may need to help them at first by smashing the bones with a hammer to make them smaller. Also make sure they'll eat liver and kidney (this is what most people use for their "other" organ). Once you know they'll eat all the parts of a raw diet you can start measuring the percentages. The easiest way is to figure out what they eat per meal. Multiply that by 7 to figure what they need for a week. Then figure your 80/10/5/5 percentages. Now you know how much of each you need for the week. You can feed organs once or twice a week - they don't need to be fed daily.

I package individual meals in small plastic bags before placing them in a gallon freezer bag and pull out each bag as needed. Thaw overnight and place in a bowl of warm water to bring the meat to "mouse" temperature and serve!

The hardest part is figuring out what each cat will eat. Once you know that you can figure out your sourcing and routine. Good luck - let us know how it's going!
[notify]

Holden- Caulfield

Not a phony!

Purred: Tue Dec 24, '13 11:46pm PST 
I do the same - package individual meals and freeze them.

How do you live without a freezer? I wouldn't be able to survive without making food and freezing it. I would never have time to cook in the week! Haha.

But considering you don't have a freezer, you can do a daily trip to your butcher and get the food for the day. You could probably get food for two days and it'd be no trouble (so you can get your food saturday morning and you'll have until monday night to get more food). I usually un-freeze the food for the full day (2 meals). But if my cat doesn't eat or doesn't completely eat, the food may be up to two days in the refrigerator. You don't need a grinder. You don't need to give your cats the EXACT percentage daily. You don't get your exact percentage daily. Just create your diet so you give it during the week.

I feed "vaguely the adequate percentage". Make sure to have blood checks done until you know for sure the diet is okay. You may need to just supplement some bits or tweak the diet a bit until you get to the right %s.

Edited by author Tue Dec 24, '13 11:50pm PST

[notify]