GO!

Need New Ideas!

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

Greebo

Purred: Mon Oct 14, '13 10:03am PST 
I think I might have to switch Greebo back to commercial food frown

He'll eat anything I put in front of him, so it was crazy easy to switch him over to raw. The problem is that he seems to be intolerant to almost everything making it impossible to give him a balanced diet.

On the CAN'T eat list are - beef, pork, lamb, fish, venison, bison, guinea pig, rats, and mice. He violently throws up all of these things, even in minute quantities.

He can eat chicken, turkey, duck, quail, rabbit, and frogs. He gets constipated easily with too much bone, so any commercial raw diet I'd have to add more than 10% meat to making it unbalanced.

I was having a really hard time finding any organs he could eat, so I've been feeding him whole prey chicks and quail, but I know that isn't enough variety. HT has whole ground rabbit, but her chicks & quail are REALLY expensive. She has ground chicken, etc. but it's not complete because it's missing a bunch of organs...I can get chicks & quail from rodentpro, but then I'd have to order 50 lbs of rabbit and 32 lbs of chicks at quail at a time to make the shipping anywhere close to economical :/ I don't have room for 82 lbs of meat for him and ordering in smaller quantities makes it too expensive.

I'm figuring at the least I'll still give him chicken necks or gizzards 1x a week for dental health, but long term I don't really know what to do. I don't want him to get some kind of nutritional imbalance because he doesn't have enough variety! Do you guys have any other ideas?
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Tue Oct 15, '13 6:19am PST 
A couple of thoughts - has he been to the vet recently? That is an awful lot of things to be intolerant to. BK has severe allergies, but his symptom is itchy skin and raw meat doesn't bother him. I'm wondering if you might be dealing with some IBD rather than intolerance?

With regard to Hare-Today, the ground meats with bones and organs are complete meals. I do supplement the ground raw just to be sure, but you could feed the ground chicken, turkey or rabbit they sell. Because it's the whole animal, in theory it's a complete, balanced meal.

Hope this helps!
[notify]