GO!

introduce me to raw food...

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

Mittens

Purred: Fri Oct 11, '13 11:38pm PST 
Ok so were still trying to figuire out the best diet for our little girl. I would love to buy exspensive casnded food but really can't afford it right now. But I really want her to grow up healthy and eat well so I was hoping some could possibly break down raw food diet for me? How do I do this? I'm also looking into homemade recipes too... TIA
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Sat Oct 12, '13 3:56am PST 
I did an article for Lacey's IBD website once with the basics of raw feeding that should answer your general questions: http://www.ibdkitties.net/rawinstructions.html. Catinfo.org is where I started my research - it's a website written by a vet and has a balanced ground recipe.

Be very careful with home cooking recipes found on the internet. I've seen a lot of recipes out there that are not at all balanced and full of things like vegetables and other items that are not good for your cat.

Once you have a basic understanding of raw feeding please feel free to come back and ask us any questions you have! And congrats for wanting the best for you baby.
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Sat Oct 12, '13 5:42am PST 
Read up on raw food diets way to go Here are two excellent web sites with 100% balanced recipies:

http://catinfo.org/?link=makingcatfood
http://www.catnutrition.org/

There are basically 4 types of raw food diets: commerically available raw pet food diets you can buy at pet stores, homemade raw food such the recipies in the links above, semi-homemade raw food diets in which you buy raw meats and stuff at a butcher store or supermarket and add in a pre-mix like TC Feline that contains vitamins and minerals, and "frankenprey" which is a balanced diet of 80% raw meats 10% bone and 10% liver and the organs.

Once you figure out which type of raw food you want to do, we can help smile

Human buys Nature's Variety Instinct frozen raw for Leroy and Emma. It's what's easiest for Human to feed right now. It has useless fruits and veggies in it but overall it's a good raw food.

If you want to control the exact ingredients in your cat's diet, homemade raw food or semi-homemade raw food or frankenprey are the best way to go smile

There's nothing wrong with canned food smile It's still a healthier option than dry food way to go You don't need to buy the high end expesnive $2+ brands either. There are lots of good quality brands of canned foods that cost less than that and are more easily available in pet stores. Some brands are only sold in non-chain pet stores / specialty pet stores while others are sold in big chain pet stores. Even Friskies is an acceptable brand to feed, though you do have to read the label to find the varieties that are grain-free and doesn't contain too many icky ingredients.
[notify]

Percy

Purred: Thu Oct 17, '13 2:56am PST 
Hello! I've been looking into the raw diet too. It's quite overwhelming at first. Catnutrition.org is a very comprehensive source and answered a lot of my worries. I asked the founder of the site some questions to get a general overview which you might find helpful.

http://www.cheshireandwain.com/#!Would-you-Deconstruct-the-Mouse/c1axx/1

Let me know how it all goes!

Also - If you're worried about making it yourself - I've notice quite a few cat food brands are bringing out raw food ranges. I'm searching around for the one my cat likes best.

Edited by author Thu Oct 17, '13 3:01am PST

[notify]

*Poof*

Purred: Thu Oct 17, '13 9:02am PST 
If you decide on commercial raw food, be aware that some brands and/or formulas are not 100% complete diets for cats shock Nature's Variety Instinct frozen raw bison is one such food. It's a complete diet for dogs but NOT for cats shrug The other varieties of NV frozen raw food diets are complete for cats and dogs.

If you decide on freeze dried raw food, be aware that some too may not be complete diets. NV freeze dried raw is a supplement only food for both dogs and cats. In a pinch it can be used as a meal but you definitely don't want to feed it exclusively. Stella and Chewy's and Primal Pets are the only two brands that I am aware of that are 100% complete freeze dried raw food for cats.

So just read the label of commercial raw foods before you buy something smile

I forgot to mention dehydrated raw food and air dried raw food. The Honest Kitchen and Addiction are two brands of dehydrated raw food. It's basically powdered raw food that you have to rehydrate in water before feeding. Ziwi Peak is an air dried raw food. It's hard and crunchy like kibble and is fed dry.
[notify]

Percy

Purred: Sun Oct 20, '13 10:56am PST 
Thanks so much for the advice! I'll be sure to look into commercial brands carefully before I settle on one. Unfortunately the variety here in the UK is pretty slim so it may be a while until more brands cotton on to the raw diet revolution.

We have a brand called Natures Menu which claims to be a balanced and complete raw diet - I'm going to see how that goes.
[notify]

*Poof*

Purred: Sun Oct 20, '13 4:40pm PST 
Here is a commercial raw food brand availble in the UK: http://www.naturalinstinct.com/ smile

Making your own raw food using a recipie or frankenprey may be easier if you can't find a good commercial raw food smile
[notify]