GO!

Moose!

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

Kaylee &- Amelia

Snuggly Sisters!

Purred: Sun Oct 6, '13 6:46pm PST 
Has anyone ever used moose meat or organs for their cats? My dad just returned from a moose hunting trip and brought me back the whole moose liver for my kittens (at my request). I gave them a very tiny piece each with dinner and they both gobbled it up quick and then sniffed all around the kitchen for more. They seemed to know I threw the bag in the garbage because Kaylee was sniffing around it like crazy!

They haven't had liver yet, and I don't have the freezer space to go completely raw. How OFTEN do you think I should include a piece of liver? They get a mix of NV Raw, THK, freeze-dried raw, canned and air-dried Ziwi Peak, as well as the occasional piece of chicken or beef.
[notify]

Stella

Stella- Felinis--Queen- of All Kitties!

Purred: Sun Oct 6, '13 7:40pm PST 
It's Stella. We don't eat raw. There are a lot of deer in this area and a big hunting industry. People who have killed deer say that many of them are loaded with various parasites, and there is a version of mad cow disease carried by deer. Our person was told that you should never eat any part of a wild animal raw because of this; everything should be well-cooked. Since the liver is a filtering organ in all mammals, eating it raw or cooked can be a dangerous thing.

The idea of kittens eating a huge moose is quite striking!
[notify]

Midas

'cause his touch- is too much!

Purred: Sun Oct 6, '13 9:31pm PST 
To elaborate on what Stella said, it is recommended that your freeze wild animal meat for 6-12 months or more before feeding to try to ensure all parasites are killed. Even then, there is no guarantee everything dangerous will be dead. I know it seems like a contradiction to the whole raw thing, as in theory we are trying to mimic what they would eat in nature, and what is more natural than feeding them what actually comes from nature?! But there is a great deal more risk feeding them wild caught food, that's just a fact, and a reason why many raw feeders just won't feed it at all. I mean, mice in the Tahoe region of California carry plague for goodness sake!
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Mon Oct 7, '13 4:57am PST 
If you freeze the moose meat/liver for a safe period, to answer your original question, you can use liver as an occasional treat but you don't want to feed regularly without balancing a fully raw diet. Liver can cause soft stool and is heavy in vitamin A which cannot be flushed from the body.

On the bright side, your kitties may be telling you they're ready for a fully raw diet!
[notify]

Kaylee &- Amelia

Snuggly Sisters!

Purred: Tue Oct 8, '13 6:40pm PST 
Thanks for the advice everyone. I will freeze it after I divide it up into smaller portions. How often would you say I could feed it if I am not going to do a 100% raw diet? They do get NVI Raw and freeze-dried raw...once a week? Twice a month?
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Wed Oct 9, '13 4:01am PST 
I wouldn't feed it as a whole meal by itself because of the poop issue. Why not use it as treats? A bite every day or so should be ok.
[notify]

Kaylee &- Amelia

Snuggly Sisters!

Purred: Wed Oct 9, '13 6:47pm PST 
Thanks BK. I think I will do it a couple of times a week, and give them a teaspoon (approx) each with their meals.
[notify]