GO!

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

Aspen

Purred: Tue Aug 27, '13 3:26am PST 
Hello there!

This is probably going to sound terribly uninformed due to my newness at Raw feeding, so I apologize in advance if along the way I trip up a bit!

I have two 5 month old kittens who are active, but their Blue Buffalo Kitten food just isn't cutting it. I'd like to start feeding raw, but am sort of put off by the potential price tag and the possibility of not providing a nutritionally complete and safe food for my kits. Can you offer suggestions of websites, info, tips, etc?
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Tue Aug 27, '13 5:27pm PST 
I posted some info to another newbie smile http://www.catster.com/forums/Raw_Food_Diet/thread/783292

Most frozen raw foods are 100% complete but definitely read the label. Human feeds Nature's Variety frozen raw which is 100% complete except for the bison one. Nature's Variety has coupons for the raw food sometimes. You can sign up to get the coupons on the Nature's Variety web site. Sometimes pet stores have raw food on sale.

Feline's Pride is another good brand but you can only but it online shrug

Making your own raw food is a lot cheaper than buying a commerical brand. Some people use a recipie, others do frankenprey. Here is info about making raw food with a good nutrionally balanced recipie:
http://catinfo.org/?link=makingcatfood
http://www.catnutrition.org/

These are the only two recipies that I recommend using. There are tons of raw food recipies out there on the Internet but many are nutritionally unbalanced and may contain harmful ingredients, like garlic.

BK and Shade can go into more info about frankenprey diets. It's 80% raw meat, 10% organs, and 10% bone.

You can also do raw meat with a pre-mix. The pre-mix has all the vitamins and minerals a cat needs. Yuo just buy the raw meat at the supermarket or butcher shop and grind it yourself. TC Feline is one brand of pre-mix.
[notify]

Toki

Evens Toki?

Purred: Wed Aug 28, '13 4:18am PST 
http://rawfed.com/myths/preymodel.html

This site is very informative and was one of the main reasons I decided on the prey model. I am vegan and feeding thawed mice, chicks and chicken parts do not bother me. Squeamish-ness is all in one's head. I used to not be able to pull the giblet bag out of a frozen turkey but I realized in much research (my ferret was switched to prey before I got Toki) that these animals didn't decide to be obligate carnivores, they were born and designed that way. The thought sprung in my head "you wouldn't try to feed a snake kibble or ground meats, would you?" Well of course not, so I felt it wasn't fair to do so with my furry carnivores. Toki ate her first adult mouse before she turned 7 weeks old. There is never any blood or parts left behind. She eats them on the carpet and never leaves a mess at all. Not only are mice super high in taurine and other trace minerals a ground diet would lack, it has negligible carbs (from what little it had in its stomach). It is also very enriching for the cat to play around with it first.

I am blessed to live near a rodent farm (that supplies the zoo) so jumbo mice are only .50 a piece and when I order them, they are euthanized and frozen before I arrive and given to me in a vaccuum sealed bag. Rodent pro and Hare Today I've heard are good for ordering online.

Edit:

A 5lb bag of blue buffalo wilderness for kittens costs $25.00 in my area. You would need 2 bags for 2 kittens per month roughly so let's say $50.00 a month. I get organic chicken leg quarters and wings for $1.00 a pound, 10 pounds will last more than a month. A package of gizzards is $1.50 and a tub of livers is around $2.50. The mice are the most expensive I get 50 jumbo mice for $25.00. In total $39.00 for a months worth.

Edited by author Wed Aug 28, '13 4:33am PST

[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Wed Aug 28, '13 5:10am PST 
Welcome Aspen! Other posters have given you the basics to get you started and I thought I'd add my two cents. Once you read through the websites you may want to start experimenting and see what your kittens like. They're young and should take to raw quickly. As far as cost, I find that feeding raw costs a little more than Friskies but not as much as premium canned. If your guys have no health issues and can eat meat from the regular grocery store you can save even more. I'm not sure if you're feeding BB dry or canned, but if it's dry just be very careful about mixing raw and kibble. There should be at least 12 hours between a kibble meal and a raw meal, due to the different digestion times and potential for bacteria.

Once you've poked around a bit feel free to come back and ask questions!
[notify]