GO!

Supplements and raw food diet

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

Mordecai- Sabestain

I\'m a tough guy- - shh no I am not

Purred: Tue Jul 30, '13 6:07pm PST 
Hello,

I am searching for a balanced diet for my little kitten, Abendigo, who does not yet have his own page set up. I've been searching through the different "balanced" recipes (I put it that way because I'm just starting out and don't assume everything I read on the internet is correct) and all of them require supplements, that I have read anyways. I just thought if it were truly a balanced diet they may not need supplements? Am I just looking in the wrong place? Is there a reason for adding the supplements? Any help is greatly appreciated. I would like to get him on the diet hopefully by next week if I can do enough research in time! Because he sure is growing up fast and I think it's probably the sooner the better! I heard someone say something about frankenprey once. But I don't really know much about that beyond the percentages. Is this a good diet? How do I know which meats, bones, and other stuff to feed them?

Thanks in advanced for your help.
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Tue Jul 30, '13 6:36pm PST 
If you don't want to use supplements, then what you want is a "frankenprey diet" way to go It's 80% muscle meat, 10% bone, and 10% organs like liver and gizzards. BK, Shade, and others can better help you with a frankenprey diet. Pretty much any raw meat can be used: chicken, duck, venision, quail, beef, etc. Use whatever your cat likes smile

Two good web sites that have balanced recipies for raw food with supplements are http://www.catinfo.org/?link=makingcatfood and http://www.catnutrition.org/
[notify]

Toby

Raw fed &- polydactyl!

Purred: Wed Jul 31, '13 3:41am PST 
The reason why people who feed ground raw (like me) opt for supplements is because of the theory that grinding removes (oxidizes) certain essential nutrients (like taurine) that cats need. This makes it "complete".

The diet should be appropriately balanced with the right levels of meat/bone/organ.... (80/10/5/5). However, some people add calcium (eggshells or bone meal) to pure raw meat and organ, because their cats will not eat raw bone. So this is another reason.

Some (like me) also prefer to supplement fish oil, for omega-3.

Supplements are just that, though - they're your daily vitamin - they shouldn't obviously be a meal.

I use Alnutrin found at http://www.knowwhatyoufeed.com/alnutrin_supplements.html
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Wed Jul 31, '13 4:38am PST 
Toby is absolutely right - it's not known how many nutrients are lost during the grinding/freezing process so if you're feeding ground raw you should supplement to be sure you're not missing any vitamins.

If you're interested in feeding Frankenprey you figure out how much food your cat eats in a day/week and break it down to 80% muscle meat, 10% bone, 5% liver and 5% other secreting organ. I spread these percentages out over a week rather than daily. The first step will be to see if you can get your cat to try bones and build up jaw strength. Let me know if you need any info or have any questions and I'll be glad to help.
[notify]

Emma

The Energizer- Kitty

Purred: Fri Aug 9, '13 2:29am PST 
I grind and freeze and use the missing link supplement which has all the taurine, omega 3's and everything else they could need. Although Im not 100% on raw yet because they aren't to thrilled with it yet. So we still feed TOTW until we get there.
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Fri Aug 9, '13 9:17am PST 
The Missing Link isn't meant for raw food diets. It's a supplement for commercial canned and dry foods that are already nutrionally balanced. Use a pre-mix made specifically for raw food diets, like TC Feline or Alnutrin or Better In The Raw. Maybe you can add FortiFlora or tuna (in water) juice to the raw food to make it more appealing. Gravy from a can or pouch of food works, too.
[notify]

Purred: Sat Sep 7, '13 9:20pm PST 
Thanks for the leads on raw diet supplementation. A note on Taurine. I read, years ago, that research showed that the meats humans eat, even in their raw state have much less Taurine than the ground critters cats eat in the wild. So even if you were just putting a slab of never-frpzen chicken or beef down for kitty to go at, you would still need to add Taurine.
[notify]

Toby

Raw fed &- polydactyl!

Purred: Sun Sep 8, '13 6:28am PST 
Taurine content is directly related to muscle utility.

So, for example, a chicken breast does not have as much muscle use as a chicken's thigh. And the muscle with the highest taurine content is the heart, which is in constant use. (It can also be said that the "darker meat" tends to be the areas where there's highest taurine... thighs are dark meat.)

So, if you were to feed frankenprey, as long as you include hearts/thighs, I think you'd be fine.

Edited by author Sun Sep 8, '13 6:28am PST

[notify]