GO!

Newbie to raw feeding. Help?!

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

Emma

The Energizer- Kitty

Purred: Mon Jul 15, '13 3:01pm PST 
Well my brother Tigger and I share our home with 8 canine siblings. We love them all and they are great fun! They can be weird sometimes, like doing WHATEVER mom tell them. SMH!

Anywho momma has been researching and researching on starting the furry barkers on raw food. And we're like hey mom what about us? And mom realized she knows nothing about raw feeding kitties. She's spent weeks researching for the dogs but what about us? She says she cant seem to find much information on it for kitties. Would you guys be so kind as to fill her in. She says she would be forever grateful! thinking hail wave
[notify]

Toby

Raw fed &- polydactyl!

Purred: Mon Jul 15, '13 3:19pm PST 
Really? I raw feed both my dog and kitten, and it's very similar and I have been able to locate tons of research on both. Same ratios (80/10/5/5), but need to make sure the cats are fed high taurine meat sources (I like heart muscle) and that the bones/meat are ground or small enough to be edible for a cat (a cat cannot chomp through a beef rib bone, but most can work their way on necks, backs, ribs of poultry bones)... Because cats can be picky eaters, it's important to make sure they're eating the bones and meat and organs to avoid imbalance... this is why many people prefer ground mixes that are sold through vendors like Hare Today (I buy from them).

I find it much easier/cheaper to feed my cat raw than it is my dog, just because the cat obviously eats in smaller portions.

www.catinfo.org
www.rawfedcats.org
http://feline-nutrition.org /
www.hare-today.com (East Coast raw meat supplier)

Edited by author Mon Jul 15, '13 3:25pm PST

[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Mon Jul 15, '13 5:00pm PST 
Toby posted good links to learn more about raw feeding way to go Another good web site is http://www.catnutrition.org/ smile

Both Catinfo.org and Catnutrition.org have good recipies you can use way to go A meat grinder makes it easy to prepare raw pet food. But you can also just finely chop meat into pieces. It'll just take awhile shrug

If you don't want to go through the hassel of buying supplements and stuff for a recipe, you can just use a pre-mix with chopped raw meats. The pre-mix contains all of the vitamins and minerals a cat needs. TC Feline, Better In The Raw, and Alnutrin are three brands you can use.

Then there's commerical raw pet food. Human feeds Nature's Variety Instinct but the bone content is a bit high so she is adding a little plain raw meat to the diet as well. Primal Pet is another good brand. There are many others but check the label to make sure that the food is a complete diet for cats.
[notify]

Emma

The Energizer- Kitty

Purred: Mon Jul 15, '13 8:54pm PST 
I actually did buy a grinder I just don't mention it because I know some people are TOTALLY against it. Especially on the Dogster forums. I'm still waiting for it to get here, it should be here sometime next week. I did also read about the turine and bought a turine supplement. Because I was told if you grind meat it takes a lot of the turine out of it.

I do have one more question, our mouser mostly outdoor kitty Tigger LOVES to cautch and eat anything he can mice squirrels baby rabbits. BUT inside he doesnt want canned or tuna, he only likes dry kibble. Im afraid he wont take to raw? suggestions? Also I was told with my dogs to fast them for a day and then start them cold turkey. No slow introduction, is it the same with cats?

Thanks for the links guys! hail

Edited by author Mon Jul 15, '13 8:56pm PST

[notify]

Emma

The Energizer- Kitty

Purred: Mon Jul 15, '13 8:57pm PST 
Oh and I read dogs should eat 3% of their body weight where as cats should eat 6-8% of their body weight. Is that true?
[notify]

Toby

Raw fed &- polydactyl!

Purred: Tue Jul 16, '13 4:00am PST 
Kittens should be given as much to eat as they want and can eat up to 10% of their body weight, but normal for full grown cats is just like dogs - 2-3%.

Grinding is not looked down on so much for cats as it is for dogs because feeding dogs is so much easier - my 55lb lab mix can easily chomp through a whole chicken - but my cat can't, and some will be picky about it, creating imbalanced diet issues. For dental health for cats, if you feed ground, I also feed chunked gizzards - these are great "cat sized" bites of meat and they're tough, providing a good dental workout.

Yes, grinding food removes taurine because it oxidizes so you'll want to add a supplement - I use Alnutrin. I also add fish oil capsules (anchovy oil) and occasionally Toby gets a bite of my salmon sushi or a sardine packed in water, but not too much fish. Toby eats mostly a diet of poultry -- I feed chicken, turkey, duck and goose - he also likes beef and mutton in small amounts.

Also, very important difference I failed to mention -- you cannot starve a cat into raw like you can a dog -- cats are prone to developing hepadic lipidosis (fatty liver disease) if they go too long without eating -- this is particularly true of fatter cats -- but cats as a rule should never go more than 24 hrs without eating. There are plenty of sites (and people here!) who can help you through transitioning a cat from kibble to raw.

This is my boy, Toby - who is now 16 weeks old and has been raw fed since I got him at 6-8 weeks old. Properly raw fed cats tend to enjoy better health, shinier coats, bright eyes, and lots of energy.

Edited by author Tue Jul 16, '13 4:12am PST

[notify]