GO!

Any critiques on my recipe?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

Purred: Sun Jul 14, '13 3:58pm PST 
I have decided to make my cat raw food instead of buying it pre-made. I threw it together last night and I think it came out pretty good. If anyone has any opinions that would be very much appreciated smile I bought a meat grinder so all meat is ground and all vegetables/fruit are shredded.

Beef stew pieces
bone-in, skinless chicken thighs
Chicken livers
Boiled whole grain brown rice
Peas
Carrots
Spinach
Blueberries
Flaxseed
an Apple
Raw apple cider vinegar "with the mother"
Olive oil
The Missing Link Ultimate Feline Formula
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Sun Jul 14, '13 4:46pm PST 
Most people here will tell you one thing: cats do not need fruits or veggies or rice/grains or cider vinegar in their diet. Cats are obligate carnivores and have no use at all for these ingredients.

How did you come up with the recipie? Throwing together a bunch of ingredients does not mean that it is 100% nutrionally complete for your cat. There are a lot of homemade raw recipies out there on the Internet but many are unbalanced. An improperly blanaced diet can lead to serious health issues. Too much liver results in vitamin A toxicity. A low taurine level can cause blindness and heart problems.

The Missing Link formula thing you are using does not make up for the fact that the diet may be unbalanced. It's more of a supplement to commerical dry and canned pet foods, not for homemade raw foods.

Making your own raw cat food is a great idea but you need to use a proper nutrionally balanced recipie and understand the basics of cat nutrition. Please read http://catinfo.org/?link=makingcatfood and http://www.catnutrition.org/index.html for information about making raw cat food. Both include good completely balanced recipies to use.

Edited by author Sun Jul 14, '13 4:48pm PST

[notify]

Xerxes Kei

Purred: Sun Jul 14, '13 5:19pm PST 
I used the same ingredients that were in his "instinct raw" food. The meat to liver ratio looks correct. I only used a few pieces of liver for about 4 lbs of meat. "the missing link" has (per 3/4 tsp) 400 mcg Taurine(min), 100 mg Linoleic acid, and 250 mg linolenic acid. Ingredients also say methionine complex, Lecithin, Niacin(vit B3), pyridoxine hydrochloride (vit B6), riboflavin (vit B2, folic acid, and vit B12 supplement. I will find out what other things I need to add, looks like vit E and fish oil are the only things missing. The first link you posted says vit B complex. Would the vit B in "the missing link" that I posted cover that? I only made enough for just under a month so the next batch I will follow one of those recipes.

Edited by author Sun Jul 14, '13 5:27pm PST

[notify]

Amber

I didn't do it!

Purred: Mon Jul 15, '13 1:03am PST 
Beef stew pieces
bone-in, skinless chicken thighs
Chicken livers
Boiled whole grain brown rice
Peas
Carrots
Spinach
Blueberries
Flaxseed
an Apple
Raw apple cider vinegar "with the mother"
Olive oil
The Missing Link Ultimate Feline Formula

While I commend your effort to do the best for your pet, I would not feed this for any extended period of time. Cats cannot derive adequate nutrition from plant material, so you need an animal based - fish oil - source of omegas. The missing link contains garlic, which is toxic to cats over time (it causes anemia) and I would not be comfortable feeding it. Spinach causes calcium oxalate crystals in cats and is not recommended. Grains, including rice, should be completely avoided for cats because they have NO dietary requirement for carbs, cause allergies, and contribute to diabetes and obesity. Personally, I would omit the vegetable matter entirely from this recipe. To provide any further analysis, I would need the exact amounts of each item in each batch, but I do also see a potential vitamin e deficiency as well.

That pet food company adds extremely small amounts of plant matter, around 5%, for two reasons. First the bone content is a bit high and they need something to help it pass easily, and second, consumers think fruits and veggies are healthy. They are healthy, for humans, but obligate carnivores don't need them. That said, with the exception of the spinach, rice, and missing link, if you want to keep adding the plant material in VERY small amounts, you won't hurt anything unless your pet has an intolerance to one of the ingredients.

Provided your proportions are correct, you may just need to add fish oil, vitamin e, a b-complex, and a source of iodine (I use lite salt). However, as I stated, I cant be sure of that unless I know exactly what you are feeding including the amounts.

I would like to direct you to catinfo.org, which has a lot of information and an excellent recipe. I feel I should let you know that a lot of people are re-examining the whole think feathers and long ears thing, though. While I do not feed fish other than the oil because of the risks it poses, I don't stick to poultry and rabbit exclusively. Amber quite enjoys beef, goat, llama, and venison as well, and Dr. Pierson's recipe works with ANY meat (except fish). I also don't recommend feeding pork, but the jury is out on the safety of pork so whether or not to feed it - or anything else for that matter - is entirely your decision.

Edited by author Mon Jul 15, '13 1:06am PST

[notify]

Toby

Raw fed &- polydactyl!

Purred: Mon Jul 15, '13 4:22am PST 
Please research cat nutrition before attempting to feed your own recipe. It's very important the ratios be correct. I would not feel safe "guestimating". Just looking at this it's impossible to tell if you have the 80/10/5/5 ratio correct.

Edited by author Mon Jul 15, '13 4:24am PST

[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Mon Jul 15, '13 5:16am PST 
Everyone here has given you good advice. Get rid of the veggies and rice - all are useless and some are dangerous. There are supplements you can add to raw meat if you're not sure of your ingredients but you really need to measure and follow the 80/10/5/5 percentages. Most of us use and swear by the recipe on catinfo.org. But I just want to commend you on starting a raw diet - you're on your way to a healthy, happy kitty!
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Mon Jul 15, '13 9:15am PST 
Human feeds the Nature's Variety Instinct raw food and it does not contain rice. The fruits and veggies in the food are pretty useless but they're only a tiny part of the food.

The problem with trying to replicate a commercial food is that you don't know how much of each ingredient is used, and for the vitamins and minerals, what concentration is used shrug

You're better off with using a good raw recipe like the one at Catinfo.org Or you can use a pre-mix such as TC Feline or Alnutrin with raw meats. Some people here do frankenprey instead of using a recipe.
[notify]

Mandy

Leave me alone!- I'm trying to- sleep.

Purred: Mon Jul 22, '13 10:11pm PST 
Yes, definitely eliminate ALL grains and all fruits/veggies. Occasionally, a few fruits/veggies are okay but I wouldn't recommend it every day. As long as your supplementing the meals, they aren't needed. Personally, I'd recommend replacing the flaxseed oil with fish (or salmon) oil and eliminating the olive oil. Always make sure Vitamin E is added when fish oil is used. I'm not 100% sure about the Missing Link formula supplement since I don't know the amounts of each vitamin/mineral. I'm sure it's good but you want to make sure between that supplement and the organs that you aren't over-doing Vitamins A and D. They are important vitamins but too much can cause toxicity.

Definitely, do some reading on catnutrition.org, catinfo.org, feline-nutrition.org, etc. on the specific supplements to add and what amount. Lastly, I would try to change the meat sources from time to time and not always have the same meats every day. I use TCFeline which makes it much easier to prepare my cat's meals but that's up to you.
[notify]