GO!

New kitten want to try raw food diet!

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

Mordecai- Sabestain

I\'m a tough guy- - shh no I am not

Purred: Sun Jul 7, '13 7:23am PST 
Hello,

Long story short a couple days ago I went for an interview and ended up coming home with a stray kitten to add to my tribe. The vet yesterday estimated he is about 8 weeks old, is he old enough for raw diet? Is raw better for cats than kibble, soft food, or home cooked? What are some advantages and disadvantages? Do you have any info on it? Like what to feed them, how much, and how to do it? Nutrient needs etc? I have never looked into it before with kitties. But since he is a kitten I figured it would be easier to start sooner than later.

-Kitty X(still determining name)
[notify]

Toby

Raw fed &- polydactyl!

Purred: Sun Jul 7, '13 12:36pm PST 
Hi!

I fed raw as soon as I got Toby (he was likely only 6 weeks, not 8 like we were told) and he did fine with it.

Personally I think raw is a lot better than any other diet you can offer. (IMO, it goes: homemade/frankenprey/whole prey raw > commercial raw > homemade cooked > commercial canned > commercial dry)

It makes me feel better knowing my cat is getting fed something healthy. He is very healthy, shiny, soft, teeth are in good condition, has a lot of energy.

I recommend you check out www.catinfo.org for a good "start" on raw for cats. No matter how you feed raw, it is very important the diet is balanced with the correct meat/bone/organ and Calcium/Phosphorous ratios. Depending on where you live, feeding raw is relatively easy to do, and cheaper than feeding the highest quality commercial foods (if you buy in bulk). You do need to take care to do it right, however, because you risk causing a lot of damage if you do not feed a balanced diet (or if your cat won't eat a balanced diet!)

Edited by author Sun Jul 7, '13 12:38pm PST

[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Sun Jul 7, '13 4:28pm PST 
You can read about proper cat nutrition here: http://www.catinfo.org way to go

Raw is the most natural form of food for a cat. Second to that is canned food. Dry foods are unnatural and horrible for a cat

Catinfo.org has a section on making homemade raw food: http://www.catinfo.org/?link=makingcatfood

http://www.catnutrition.org/ is another good web site to learn about raw food for cats.

Hoemcooked foods aren't ideal because cooking (ie heat) changes the structure of the meat proteins and nutrients shrug Many home cooked recipies aren't even proeprly balanced for cats and/or contain grains and fruits/veggies. There is a pre-mix product you can use with plain home cooked meats: http://www.knowbetterpetfood.com/cat_food_u-stew

There are commercial raw pet foods you can buy if you dont' want to make your own raw food.

Kittens are easy to get started on raw food way to go The only food they have known is their mom's milk. Weaning time is when they start to learn what is food and make their preferences. Leroy was weaend onto raw food by the breeder smile He's almost 3 now and doing great way to go
[notify]

Mordecai- Sabestain

Purred: Sun Jul 7, '13 6:44pm PST 
Abendigo (name of Kitty X) is having severe diarrhia will the raw cause any further problems? The vet is currently treating by putting him on a couple different de-wormers because he was loaded.
[notify]

Toby

Raw fed &- polydactyl!

Purred: Mon Jul 8, '13 4:07am PST 
Properly balanced raw should not cause diarrhea or constipation or any "problems" unless your cat happens to have a food intolerance to a certain meat source.
[notify]

Mordecai- Sabestain

Purred: Mon Jul 8, '13 4:22am PST 
I saw that off of catinfo.org that the recipe called for grinding most of it up. Are they all like this? Are there alternatives to grinding it up?
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Mon Jul 8, '13 4:38am PST 
In fact, raw should eliminate the diarrhea once the worms are gone.

What a lot of us do instead of the grinding method is what we call Frankenprey. In theory you are trying to create a "whole" animal like your cat would eat in the wild, with food that you get in your grocery store. The guidelines are 80% muscle meat, 10% bones, 5% liver and 5% other organ.

Kittens are generally the easiest to switch to raw - most of them take to it like it's natural, which it is!

I had done an article for the IBD kitties website that gives the basics on raw feeding - maybe it will help you: http://www.ibdkitties.net/rawinstructions.html

And as always, we're here to help if you have any questions!
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Mon Jul 8, '13 4:44am PST 
If you have good knife skills you can just cut raw meat up into easy to eat pieces smile
[notify]