GO!

3rd day of raw food - are these symptons of the switch?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Purred: Fri Jul 5, '13 12:53am PST 
Hi

Hope you guys who have already made the change to a raw diet can help me with this one.

Little bit of back ground - Benny is a rescue Cornish Rex with a few "issues"
I switched him to a Raw diet 3 days ago and the changes have been positive and negative.

Positives

Normal poop for the first time ever
More energy
Fur already softer and previous bald bits seem better
Slept all night on the 2nd day

Negatives

Vocalising (ie howling, whinging, screaming)
More hungry

Is this normal? I know his system is going through a bit of detox and his routine has been changed.

Please let me know what changes you saw when switching to a raw food diet.

Thanks smile
[notify]

Toby

Raw fed &- polydactyl!

Purred: Fri Jul 5, '13 4:16am PST 
The howling/crying thing is a little worrisome. Does he do it while in the litterbox or just at random times? I've heard some cats seem to have physically a lot more energy once switched to raw.

If he's hungry for more, that's good - how much are you currently feeding him, and what are you feeding him?
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Fri Jul 5, '13 5:08am PST 
Also, how old is he and how much are you feeding? If he's young and active you may want to increase the amount. How long have you had him and what are some of his issues? Let us know some details and we'll try to help.
[notify]

Benny

Purred: Fri Jul 5, '13 5:25am PST 
He is very vocal anyway due to his breed and I have now worked out his different noises. There is nothing medically wrong with him, he has had several vet visits recently and they have decided it is behaviour related. These noises are his "feed me" or "give me attention" noises!!
He is a rescue so I don't know his exact age but roughly 5. He is an indoor cat and has plenty of stimulation, play time with me, on his own and loads of windows to watch the birds and outside world.

Issues - all of these I inherited, nothing new and no doubt caused by being rehomed so many times in such a short time.

Fur loss on his back, worse when stressed.
Very sensitive tummy - RAW has been amazing though and he has formed poop for the first time
Vocalising - no doubt learnt behaviour as he was shut in a room and only saw someone when he was fed :-( (his history still makes me sad)
HUGE appetite - again, very typical of his breed
Seperation anxiety - this comes and goes and is fairly mild. Doesn't help that I live on my own so I am his only guardian.
Waking at 5am and howling until fed. I have tried everything with this and got the feeder timer so he stopped hassling me but it didn't work! I am once again folling the "ignore it" principle but he never totally shuts up.

Hmmmmm think that covers it.

He is getting a frozen mix by natural instinct (UK based) has all the bones and everything and he absolutely loves it.

I HAVE to still give him kibble in his feeder timer as I am at work all day and he doesn't cope with going all day without food. I am however considering changing this.

I have just bought some chicken wings, thighs and drumsticks. I know wings are ok.........are the others? I am hoping that something that takes him longer to eat will make him use his brain a bit more.

He is ADORABLE 90% of the time smile He is extremely affectionate and I love him to bits which is why I have tried everything to help him. I want him to have the best smile

That enough info ?
[notify]

Benny

Purred: Fri Jul 5, '13 5:28am PST 
whoops forgot to say
He is having around 125g a day of the raw mix plus a small dry feed midday in the timer. He is 5kg and lean so no weight issue. This amount sits with the recommended 3% of body weight
[notify]

BK

Purred: Fri Jul 5, '13 12:06pm PST 
Poor baby - how great of you to give him a chance and give him the best nutrition. I would up his intake to 4% first. Every cat is different, 4% is within the guidelines and if there's not a weight issue I would try it. I understand why you're leaving kibble for him but it's not a great idea. The problem with kibble is that it moves very slowly through their digestive tracts (because of all the ingredients that are inappropriate for their systems) and if raw gets backed up behind the kibble bacteria can build up. The raw is meant to move through their systems quickly. There are refrigerated automatic feeders, although someone else more knowledgeable will have to give you info on those if you're interested. I definitely would put down a chicken wing and see what happens. You can try a leg or thigh but the bones will be too big for him. That's not necessarily a bad thing - he's getting his calcium in the commercial food so he doesn't need the bone. After you see how he does with the wing you might also consider changing from commercial raw to Frankenprey. No guarantee it will stop the howling but he might be more satisfied and engaged if he has to work at it a bit. Just a thought.
[notify]

Benny

Purred: Fri Jul 5, '13 2:09pm PST 
Thank you so much for your response, very helpful. I had read that about the kibble and will see how he gets on this weekend without a midday feed. The problem is he gets fed around 6 am and then not again till 6 pm and this is one hungry kitty. I guess i can give him another feed before i leave for work.

Benny had his first chicken wing tonight and loved it smile he took 45 minutes to eat it lol. It was so cute to watch as he started off licking it and getting frustrated then figured out he could trap it with his claws and tear with his teeth lol. He ate some bone but not all, it was a big wing though! If his tummy is ok with that I will get more.

He is on my lap now and feels warmer than normal and very chilled out, bless
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Sun Jul 7, '13 4:17am PST 
Instead of the dry, you can leave out some canned food smile The PetSafe 5 compartment feeder has a small ice pack slot but they actually don't make an ice pack shrug Supposedly the Catmate ice pack fits in there shrug Catmate is another brand of programmable feeders. A mini ice pack for coolers/lunch boxes might also fit.
[notify]

Benny

Purred: Wed Jul 10, '13 1:48pm PST 
I ditched the dry food on Friday and Benny is thriving on 100% raw I am giving him a chicken wing every day which is occupying him and definitely filling him up more applauseapplause

I don't like to jinx this but he is also sleeping much better smile

yipppeeeeee party
[notify]

BK

Purred: Thu Jul 11, '13 5:02am PST 
Benny, this is such great news! It's great that he's taken so well to the wings! You've got the rest of his diet balanced with muscle meat and organs, right? Just checking, mol.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2