GO!

NV raw bone content

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Tue Jul 2, '13 6:00pm PST 
We hear that the NV frozen raw has a high bone content which can cause constipation. Can the food be "diluted" somehow to lower the bone content? thinking Maybe add a little raw meat? Emma had a little constipation with dry crumbly poop that was kind of stuck out of her butt shock Sometimes Leroy grunts while he's pooping shrug

Also, the last two NV raw chicken Emma ate made her nauseous shrug She puked the first time and lip smacked. The second chicken just made her lip smack and drool a little. The bag is almost empty, probably a dozen left, and Emma had no problem with the food until now shrug Maybe there are just some bad medallions in the bag? thinking
[notify]

Amber

I didn't do it!

Purred: Tue Jul 2, '13 10:59pm PST 
Yes, it is perfectly safe and is actually recommended to dilute the bone content with plain raw meat. Chicken hearts are good, but any muscle meat will do.
[notify]

*Poof*

Purred: Wed Jul 3, '13 3:53am PST 
How much raw meat or organ can I add to each meal without throwing off the nutrient balance? thinking Emma eats one 1 oz medallion twice a day and Leroy eats three 1 oz medallions three times a day.
[notify]

*Poof*

Purred: Wed Jul 3, '13 5:09am PST 
Correction: Leroy eats one 1 oz medallion three times a day. *naughty Human*
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Wed Jul 3, '13 8:01am PST 
I think it's going to be a little trial and error. 2-3 oz. a day isn't much - you probably don't want to add even an ounce of muscle meat. If you were using hearts, I would give them each a heart a day. Maybe a a quarter to a half ounce? The poop should be dry and odorless but not crumbly or chalky.
[notify]

*Poof*

Purred: Wed Jul 3, '13 9:14am PST 
BK wave Yes, 2 to 3 oz of food a day isn't much but that's all they will eat shrug Leroy used to eat 4 oz a day as a kitten but has only needed 3 oz since he was about a year old.

Leroy loves raw chicken and turkey but Emma won't touch it shrug Human has never offered organs before. Leroy might go for it but Emma likely won't. Human will have to be sneaky to get Emma to eat the raw chicken and organs.

Emma's stuck poop that day was crumbly. She left a mess everywhere before she got the rest out in the litter box shock For the most part they have dry poop. Sometimes the fresh pieces look a little moist, probably mucous or bodily fluids mixed in as the poop comes out. Fresh poop (like right out of the butt) does smell a bit but it soon disappears.
[notify]

BK

Purred: Wed Jul 3, '13 2:09pm PST 
Hearts and gizzards are often appealing and are good for teeth. Have you tried any red meat? I would experiment to see what they like. It sounds like they need just a little more plain meat.
[notify]

*Poof*

Purred: Wed Jul 3, '13 4:56pm PST 
Human hasn't tried red meat. Do you mean beef? What other red meats are good? We have lots of Asian supermarkets and fancy butcher shops that source from local farms so finding unusual meats and organs isn't a problem smile Whole Foods sometimes has unsual meats like alligator shock

Edited by author Wed Jul 3, '13 4:58pm PST

[notify]

BK

Purred: Thu Jul 4, '13 4:49am PST 
Most cats are partial to poultry and rabbit (oh! have you tried rabbit?) but BK is a real red meat kitty and prefers meats like beef, lamb and venison. I would try whatever you can get hold of and can buy in small amounts if the humans won't eat the leftovers, mol.
[notify]

*Poof*

Purred: Thu Jul 4, '13 8:35am PST 
Both like the NV rabbit and venison smile I'm not sure about those as plain raw meat thinking I guess we can give them a try smile Human will go look at the markets this weekend for raw yummy stuff smile
[notify]

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3