GO!

A little picky?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Oreo

I bite back

Purred: Sun Jun 23, '13 2:36am PST 
Okay, so I introduced some ground beef a few days ago. Oreo seemed fine with it.
Then he kinda lost what little enthusiasm he had for it a little later on. He ate a couple entire meals of it first, though.

Introduced turkey a couple of days later. Success.

Introduced chicken this evening. He ate a few pieces, then just sniffed and licked the rest of the remaining pieces.
Then I got some turkey chunks out and he ate those.

Other than these three meat sources, the only other I can really get is pork. Hopefully that will go over well.
But obviously, I can't feed a diet of just turkey and pork.shrug

Haven't introduced organs yet...those are going to be fun.confused

I know with dogs you can use the method of just making them go hungry until they eat. Not sure if that's a good idea with kittens or not, though.
I mean, I get the feeling he's just holding out for something he likes better, because he knows we probably have it.

Edited by author Sun Jun 23, '13 2:39am PST

[notify]

Toby

Raw fed &- polydactyl!

Purred: Sun Jun 23, '13 3:36am PST 
It's really dangerous to withhold food from a cat because they can develop hepatic lipidosis.

If your cat won't take to raw right away, go more slowly.

Be sure to feed bone/organs so your cat is getting a balanced meal - it's not good for them to just eat meat.
If you're just switching over, make sure he's eating canned to make up for any nutritional imbalance.

Edited by author Sun Jun 23, '13 3:40am PST

[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Sun Jun 23, '13 4:16am PST 
Oreo, I would try to keep beef and chicken in your rotation if you can. If he eats the same thing every day, not only will he probably get bored but it's not enough variety. It's ok to let them go a little while to get hungry but for a kitten I wouldn't go more than 12 hours. There must be some other things you can try - what about lamb or heart or gizzards?
[notify]

Shade

My name is not- Kittyfloss!

Purred: Sun Jun 23, '13 7:02am PST 
A couple of thoughts. Firstly, was the chicken breast or thigh? Which ever one it was, try buying the other. When my guys were kittens they would only eat the thighs. Now that they are older they've decided they like the breasts better.

Secondly, go easy with buying ground beef from the grocery store. Unless you see them grinding it, you don't really know how long it's been sitting around and the longer it sits, the more likely it is to get bacteria growing on it. Remember, they are grinding it thinking that the end user is going to cook it. Have you tried buying non-ground beef? I usually look for stew beef chunks and check for the packages that seem the least fatty.

You might not have any trouble introducing liver and other organs, many cats love liver. I would try introducing organs soon.
[notify]

Oreo

I bite back

Purred: Sun Jun 23, '13 9:50am PST 
Pretty sure I have gizzards, but they need to be thawed out.
I do have some liver, and there is currently kidney in the fridge, ready to be used.

Anyways, fed chicken this morning. Oreo ate it this time. I used a small RMB instead of cut chunks. He seemed to like that better.
The chicken I fed last night (and this morning) was from a package of segments of wings and drums.

I don't know about lamb, but I'm pretty sure I can get goat from the meat store. I bought it once before. My dog didn't like it, but it might be a different story with Oreo.

I could try non-ground beef.
I feed my dog ox tails sometimes. I saw last time that the store qualifies it as beef, but is it actually from a cow? I always thought it was from an ox.

Edited by author Sun Jun 23, '13 10:00am PST

[notify]

Shade

My name is not- Kittyfloss!

Purred: Mon Jun 24, '13 4:53am PST 
Oxen are castrated bulls, so they are cattle/cows/beef. I don't think that a cat can eat an ox tail, unless you mean that you'll cut the meat off of it.
[notify]

Oreo

I bite back

Purred: Mon Jun 24, '13 12:15pm PST 
Yeah. I don't think there are any beef bones a cat could eat. My small dog can't even manage ribs. (My GSD could, though.)
[notify]

Mitchell

Mitchell, Master- of MeowSpace

Purred: Tue Jun 25, '13 12:11pm PST 
There is an awesome blog by a vet that I recently found. She is huge on raw food, and gives detailed information about how to make it, use it, etc. Her name is Dr. Pierson, and here is her site: http://www.catinfo.org/.

Although I don't currently have my cats on raw food, she is a plethora of information and passion about it.
[notify]

Oreo

I bite back

Purred: Mon Jul 1, '13 3:58pm PST 
Seems like Oreo tends to eat less of his raw food than he does his wet food. Is this a problem? Maybe I should put more limits on how often I feed the wet food?
Usually I feed the wet food at least twice a day. Sometimes more if he won't eat raw or if I'm short on time and need to go somewhere.

Edited by author Mon Jul 1, '13 4:01pm PST

[notify]

Oreo

I bite back

Purred: Tue Jul 2, '13 12:22am PST 
I'm not having a lot of trouble getting Oreo to eat raw, but he does refuse it more often than he refuses wet food. And like I said, he seems to eat less raw than wet. Maybe it's just a variety thing. I do try to mix it up, but all I have right now is chicken and turkey. I'm out of beef until I go to the store. I want to introduce pork soon, too.
I guess I should buy a frozen mouse or two, also....how do I get him to recognize whole prey as food, though?

He seems to like organs, anyway. Fed liver and kidney so far. So that's not a problem.

Edited by author Tue Jul 2, '13 12:23am PST

[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2