GO!

do raw fed kittens eat less?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Toby

Raw fed &- polydactyl!

Purred: Wed May 29, '13 4:54pm PST 
sorry for the low caps - kitten asleep on my other arm and can't reach shift key smile

do raw fed kittens eat less? I'm not sure how much he should be eating at a sitting. I just want to be sure he's eating enough and not being finicky.
[notify]

Toby

Raw fed &- polydactyl!

Purred: Wed May 29, '13 6:35pm PST 
Also - it's in the freezer.. it's on the floor.. it's in the freezer... on the floor...

wtf! What is the best way of going about this!

He eats at random times and won't touch frozen or cold food -- but I'm scared to leave the raw meat at room temp for too long...
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Thu May 30, '13 4:20am PST 
No cat likes cold food. The food should be "mouse temperature", mol. Warm the food up under warm water and leave it down for a while. A cat's body is designed to move raw food through their system quickly and the bacteria won't be harmful.

It's hard to answer your question - less than what? In my experience kittens eat lots but they will be more satisfied on a raw diet. Is he not enthusiastic about the raw food?
[notify]

Shade

My name is not- Kittyfloss!

Purred: Thu May 30, '13 4:26am PST 
Overall raw fed cats probably eat less than cats fed a lesser quality food (kibble, grain-y canned) because they are able to utilize close to 100% of what they ingest. Cats fed food with fillers like grains and veggies can't use a greater percentage of what they eat, so they have to eat more to get the same nutrition.

Kittens, especially small ones like yours, cannot eat too much at once, think how tiny his belly is (must be so cute!)! big grin Instead you have to try and feed him more meals. I know people who just fed their kittens their raw whenever the kitten asked to be fed; I kind of did that with the boys too. You don't have to worry about a kitten than age getting overweight either. Even once they get older, like 6 - 7 months, they'll kind of round out, have a growth spurt, then they are skinny again.

Don't try to feed him frozen food, yak! What I do is thaw the meat in the fridge (when I remember!), then put the baggie in a bowl of warm water and wait until it feels warm, but not hot. People say "mouse body temperature". Then I put it in bowls. If the raw I feed doesn't get eaten immediately, I usually just leave it down for hours. No one's gotten sick yet. But, please serve it at least room temp and cold meat probably isn't very tempting!

Purrs,
Shade
[notify]

Toby

Raw fed &- polydactyl!

Purred: Thu May 30, '13 4:27am PST 
He nibbles away at a chicken wing or thigh but won't eat too much. When I cut it into more manageable 1" chunks for him, he'll eat maybe 2-3 chunks? Then walk away and come back later.

Is this right?
[notify]

Shade

Purred: Thu May 30, '13 4:27am PST 
BK, we did it again!! laugh out loud
[notify]

Shade

Purred: Thu May 30, '13 4:29am PST 
Toby, maybe I posted at the same time as you. If so, read my post too. Tiny kittens can only eat a little bit of food at once. Just feed him many times a day. Does he ask for more food after a few hours? How old is he exactly? Was he weaned early?
[notify]

Toby

Raw fed &- polydactyl!

Purred: Thu May 30, '13 6:18am PST 
Shade,

He's soooo tiny. He's supposed to be 8 weeks (9 weeks now, I got him exactly 1 week ago and was told he was just 8 weeks).... but I thought he might be younger. :/ His eyes are already yellow-green, though, and someone said they don't turn from blue until 8 weeks, so I don't know.

He's real small, though, like MAYBE two pounds. He has his first vet visit scheduled for June 12.

I've never had a kitten, so I'm probably just being neurotic. He eats frequently, but not a lot at a time. This morning he ate some raw, then I froze what he left -- before I left for work, I took it out and laid it down so it'd thaw throughout the day.
[notify]

Shade

Purred: Thu May 30, '13 8:42am PST 
Oh, I have kitten jealousy!! Just so long as he has energy to play and he eats pretty often and he's not skin and bones I think that you're fine. If you are really worried, I bet your vet will let you bring him in just for a weight check.
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Thu May 30, '13 9:08am PST 
Leroy and Emma eat raw straight from the fridge shrug They don't seem to mind that their food is cold.

Frozen food is impossible to eat. Always let food defrost in the fridge for a day or so before serving. I would not refreeze thawed food. Just put it back in the fridge for the next meal.

What raw feeding method are you doing? Frankenprey? Is it possible to portion out the food into single serve meals? thinking That way your kitten will eat everything at once and there is nothing leftover to throw out or feed later. If you are making raw using a recipe, you can portion out the food into 1 oz serving sizes after everything has been ground up and mixed. Put a day's worth of meals in the the fridge and put the rest in the freezer.

I would not let raw food sit out at room temperature for more than 30 minutes. You can offer small canned food meals during the day. You can use a programmable timed feeder for this way to go
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2