GO!

8 week old kitten's first raw meal

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

Toby

Raw fed &- polydactyl!

Purred: Sun May 26, '13 9:13am PST 
I brought home an 8 week old on Thursday. I've been feeding wet Wellness CORE (grain free) kitten food and today picked up some chicken wings, chicken hearts and chicken livers.

I set out a little meal, and he's going crazy for it!

http://files.dogster.com/pix/cats/37/1296337/1296337_13695846 94.jpg

Edited by author Sun May 26, '13 9:31am PST

[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Sun May 26, '13 11:08am PST 
That's so great! Isn't it wonderful how kittens take to the food nature intended them to have? If you're going to continue with raw make sure you read up on it and balance her meals correctly, but you're already on your way!
[notify]

Toby

Raw fed &- polydactyl!

Purred: Sun May 26, '13 11:57am PST 
BK,
Can you recommend a weekly "menu"?

I am hoping he will chomp on the bones -- that's my biggest concern... I laid out a very small cube of liver, a small heart, and a whole wing - just as a little intro - and he ate the liver & heart with gusto and nibbled on the wing, but I don't think he ate any of the bone (yet)...

I know that it's OK to aim for variety and balance over time vs. at every meal...

I tried raw years ago with my adopted cat Tonka (RIP) but he was 4 when I adopted him and never was able to convert fully to raw (he was too picky)... so I'm excited to start with a kitten!
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Mon May 27, '13 4:32am PST 
Keep putting out the wings - just the tips for now. I would try small bird bones - Cornish hens, quail, etc. Start with ribs and wings until he builds up strength.

When you go full raw you need to give 80% muscle meat, 10% bones, 5% liver and 5% other secreting organ. Use as many meats in your rotation as you can for variety.

You're off to a great start!
[notify]

Shade

My name is not- Kittyfloss!

Purred: Mon May 27, '13 6:06am PST 
Hi Toby, welcome to the world of raw feeding!

Here is a link to a weekly raw menu that is posted on catcentric.org:

http://catcentric.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/ My-Feeding-Schedule.pdf

(You're going to have to copy and paste because I don't know how to make a clickable link on Catster.)

Her menu is broken down into 3 meals a day, but a young, growing kitten will need to eat more often and also won't be able to eat too much at once.

I think it's great that he chewed on the chicken wing. Give him time and I bet he'll eventually get around to eating the bone itself. In he meantime though, because he is so young and you want him to grow properly, and calcium is very important for growing kittens, maybe you could find some way to supplement the calcium? At least continue to give him some of the Wellness Kittten formula.

Purrs,
Shade
[notify]

Toby

Raw fed &- polydactyl!

Purred: Mon May 27, '13 6:51am PST 
Thanks!

He eats all the meat but doesn't yet eat the chicken wing bone - way too hard/thick for him, I think....

Ribs are a great idea, I'll pick up a cornish hen today.

I offer Wellness CORE canned (kitten formula) when I leave the house for any length of time and at night. :O)~
[notify]

Oreo

I bite back

Purred: Mon May 27, '13 11:30am PST 
Aw. smile
When I bring my kitten home in a few weeks, I'm going to be starting it on raw as well. smile
[notify]