GO!

Hello raw crowd!

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

Zinfandel

Purred: Fri May 24, '13 7:04pm PST 
Hi!
Just wanted to say hi and that I'm so happy I made the choice to feed a combination of raw and grain free cans for my 12 weeks old kitten.
He looooooooves his raw meat. I live in Montreal, Canada and I buy his raw at a holistic pet store near my house. They make it themselves, it's the good combination of muscle meat, organs and bones.

Among other meats, I've tried cans and raw containing some fish (mixed with poultry) and not only my cat was not crazy about it, but he had a somewhat loose stool. Would that be possible that he did not appreciate or digested well the fish?

Anyway, I'm so happy I made this choice and not to feed him any kibble like I used to with my previous cats which became ill and died too early. I want this kitty to live 20 years if possible and I think it starts with giving him the best food.

That's it! I wanted to share with you!
cheer
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Sat May 25, '13 6:36am PST 
Congratulations Zinfandel, for picking such a smart mommy who wants to keep you healthy and happy!

Personally, I would skip the fish altogether. It's not great for cats and it's not necessary for a raw diet.
[notify]

Shade

My name is not- Kittyfloss!

Purred: Sun May 26, '13 6:05am PST 
Welcome, and congrats on your wonderful diet! It's probably good that Zinfindel doesn't like raw fish containing foods. Raw fish contains the enzyme thiaminase which destroys thiamin (vitamin B1) and thiamin deficiency can lead to neurological problems. Additionally, many top of the food chain predators (tuna, salmon) are contaminated with heavy metals and pesticides.

Probably a bit of fish here and there can't hurt, especially smaller fish like anchovies and sardines, but it's definately not something to feed a lot of.

Purrs,
Shade
[notify]

Zinfandel

Purred: Thu May 30, '13 6:13pm PST 
Thank you for your reply BK and Shade.

I think I will wait before trying anything with fish again.

Also, do you think it is possible that he is allergic to rabbit? I fed him ground raw rabbit (commercial raw - meat bones and organs) the last two days and he was not crazy about it. Eating less than usual. And today, he have diarrhea. He had highly stinking liquid poo maybe 4 times today. I'm concerned. Today his appetite was back and I've been feeding him some beef (commercial raw) that I know he loves. After how many days of diarrhea should I see the vet? (today was his 1st day)

Thank you for your advice and sharing your knowledge.
[notify]

Shade

Purred: Fri May 31, '13 3:47am PST 
Hmm, definately hold off on the rabbit for now, although I've never heard of a cat allergic to rabbit before, but I guess that anything is possible. A small kitten can probably get dehydrated pretty quickly, try mixing some extra water in with his ground raw to make it more soupy and to get some extra liquid into him. I would say that if he still has really liquid diarrhea today that you should call the vet.

I hope that he feels better soon!
[notify]

Shade

Purred: Fri May 31, '13 3:49am PST 
What brand of raw is it? I hope that the rabbit didn't somehow get contaminated.
[notify]

Zinfandel

Purred: Fri May 31, '13 6:21pm PST 
Hello Shade,
thanks for your reply.

I called the vet today, he said to keep the food simple for a couple days. So I give him only beef which he loves and had normal stool when he ate it before.
He said that as long as he plays and does not vomit, he should be ok for the weekend, but on Monday he is going to examinate his stools. The lady where I got the kitten said she gave him a de-wormer (one that you give part of a pill and the other part 10 days later) but you can never be sure she really gave both parts. frown Anyway, he gave me his email so I can contact him this weekend if it gets worst.

As for the brand of the food, it's no known commercial brand, it's made at the store and for the store where I buy it. It's a local holistic pet food business here in Montreal. They make and sell raw food for pets and high quality no grain cans. They ship within Canada, if ever you are in the country, I can give you their website.

I wish you a nice weekend and I hope mine won't be too stinky with the poop!
[notify]

Shade

Purred: Sat Jun 1, '13 7:56am PST 
I hope your weekend isn't too stinky! You're lucky to have a pet store like that near you. Let us know what happens with Zinfandel.

Purrs,
Shade
[notify]

Zinfandel

Purred: Tue Jun 4, '13 6:12pm PST 
Hello Shade,

I hope you had a nice weekend, finally mine was not too stinky as the diarrhea stopped Saturday afternoon.
On Monday, I brought the stool sample to my vet, and got the results today : negative - no parasites. So that's one question solved.
The vet did not need to examine Zinfandel as the diarrhea is gone and Zinouchski is playing, happy, active and a little devil. Must have been a virus he caught or something. We will never know.

Also, I discussed with the lady at my holistic pet store where I buy my raw, and the rabbit that I fed him did not contain bones. It was only meat and organs and it could have caused loose stool she said, but maybe not liquid poop.
I also was wondering if I hadn't left the meat out for too long. As he was not crazy about the rabbit, he did not eat his portion in one sitting. He would nibble a couple times but in the end, the meat have been out a couple hours... I feel bad about that, maybe I caused his illness. :/

Anyway, I know now to avoid anything not containing bones!

I wish you a nice week.
[notify]

Shade

Purred: Wed Jun 5, '13 3:36am PST 
I'm glad that he got better quickly!big grin

Feeding too much meat/organs without bones can cause loose stool, but unless that was for a really long time, I agree that it probably wouldn't cause the liquid diarrhea.

I leave meat out for hours if it doesn't all get eaten immediately and if it's not too hot in the house and I have not had a problem with this, even when the boys were kittens. So I wouldn't blame myself too much if I were you. However, maybe it's best while he's still really young to pick up his food after 20 - 30 minutes or so and put it back into the fridge or toss it out.

Oh, and my weekend was busy but good, thanks for asking! Just ot stick this in, my cats love to eat rabbit meat chunks and rmb's, but all but one of them hates ground rabbit with bones and organs, maybe Zinfindel is the same way.

Purrs,
Shade's mom
[notify]