GO!

New to raw, excited and nervous!

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 12)  
1  2  
Shade

My name is not- Kittyfloss!

Purred: Sat May 18, '13 7:36am PST 
Well, when I started out I fed ground raw, but I mixed in small chunks of meat for chewing purposes. I used ground turkey and chunked up chicken thighs/breasts at a 50/50 ratio. I used a pre-mix (Instinct TC, which I think is called something else now) that had calcium so that I didn't need to use bones.

After a couple of months I started feeding a prey model diet and now the boys mostly turn up their noses when I try to feed them ground raw. I buy ground raw with bones sometimes from hare-today.com though. I very rarely make a ground mix with anything added to it.

The diet that I feed my cats is grain free canned for breakfast, usually NV Instinct or Dave's, raw around 3:30pm, and raw again around 8-9pm. Two of my cats are 4.5 years old and the other 2 are 3.5 years old. So I've been feeding a 2/3rds unsupplemented raw diet for 4 years now. Everyone is very healthy (well, except for BB, but he's a different story), shiney coats, lots of energy, etc.

Supposedly, if you really feed a proper prey model diet, you shouldn't need to supplement with anything, but I've been reading this week that many people do anyway, so I have to admit that I'm wondering about maybe adding in some B vitamins, vit. E, and taurine. I don't know how you could mix supplements into chunks of meat though. I would love to add some fish oil to their food occassionally, but I have yet to find one that I haven't had to throw out because my cats refuse to eat food with it added.

If you do decide to go with a ground diet, you can always feed chicken gizzards as a treat on the side. They are great for getting some chewing in for your cat.

Check out rawfedcats.org for some info on prey model feeding.

Purrs,
Shade
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Sun May 19, '13 11:50am PST 
Shade is right - no matter what you intend to do, it may be the cat that decides what kind of raw you feed. I started out with ground but BK soon let me know he would prefer chunks and once he started eating bones the decision was made. But I've had two that wouldn't eat bone and stayed on ground. It wasn't really my call!
[notify]

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 12)  
1  2