GO!

Unprepared Broke Owner Looking for Best Answer for the Best Diet

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

Daisy

Purred: Mon May 13, '13 11:16am PST 
We have adopted a 7-week old buff tabby after being talked into getting one by my good pet-loving friend. I have always wanted to get my 4-year old a kitten, but have put it off because I knew, after losing my own feline of 8 years to an unknown cause, I wanted to properly care for one by a good diet and regular vet visits. Unfortunately I have a weakness not only for making my child happy, but for kittens (who doesn't?).So, now she has been home a week and we have been given Purina Kitten Nurture to feed her with. I accepted anything my friend bought for Daisy because this was a gift after all and both my bf and I are unemployed. I am aware that dry commercial food is the last thing to raise an abandoned kitten on, but I don't know where to begin on starting her on a healthy/raw diet. Well my first step is switching to wet food but how can I budge an even healthier diet? Please help.
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Mon May 13, '13 5:11pm PST 
Here's two threads with suggestions on how to afford a raw food diet on a budget:

http://www.catster.com/forums/Raw_Food_Diet/thread/773661
http://www.catster.com/forums/Raw_Food_Diet/thread/759952

I suggest starting off by reading up proper diet for cats. http://www.catinfo.org/ is one very good place to start way to go There's a section there about feeding raw food and how much it costs vs canned or dry food. http://www.catnutrition.org/index.html and http://feline-nutrition.org/index.php are other good web sites about raw food for cats.

Think about how easy you want the raw diet to be. Do you have time to follow a reipie which may nclude grinding up meats, adding supplements, and portioning out the food into singel serve meals? Can you afford a good quality grinder to use and the supplements needed?

If a recipie isn't doable, a "frankenprey model" diet may be easier. You feed 80% meat, 10% bone, and 10% organs. I'm not too familiar about this particular method of raw feeding but BK, Shade, and others can go into more details about this smile

Commercial raw pet food is always an option but not always the cheapest shrug Human feeds Nature's Variety Instinct frozen raw. There are lots of brands out there, from big name brands you can find in non-chain/independent pet stores (chain stores don't sell raw foods) to online only. I've heard that Feline's Pride is a good fruit/veggie/junk free raw food for cats. You can only buy it online so shipping may be costly shrug

You could also do a pre-mix with raw meats that you buy from a supermarket or butcher shop. The pre-mix contains all of the vitamins and minerals a cat needs. TC Feline is one such pre-mix you can buy.

Kittens are really easy to start on raw food smile Everything is new to them so they'll happily try anything and learn what is food and what isn't. If you can, ditch the Purina Kitten dry food and feed only canned food. Dry food and raw food don't go well in a cat's tummy and will cause tummy upset. Feed a good quality canned food if possible. It doesn't need to be kitten-specific canned food. I think Wellness has a canned kitten food thinking You can find Wellnes at Petco. Innova EVO makes a cat/kitten canned food but the brand is sold only at non-chain/independent pet stores and may not fit in your budget at around $1.25 or so for a 5 oz can.

You can mix a little piece of raw chicken in the canned food or just put it in a separate bowl for the kitten to try. Nature's Variety Instinct makes nugget shaped raw food called Raw Bites. You can get the trial sized bag. You could try one nugget per meal or so for the kitten to try.
[notify]

Shade

My name is not- Kittyfloss!

Purred: Tue May 14, '13 5:13am PST 
Hi there, It should very very easy to convert a 7 week old kitten to raw food, after all, she was probably weaned just a very short time ago.

The prey model raw diet (80% muscle meat/ 10% bone / 5% liver/ 5% other secreting organ like kidney) is probably the cheapest way to go, but I'm not 100% sure as I don't make one of the ground recipes, as on catinfo.org, myself. Definately a store bought, pre-made raw is the most expensive, although you don't have to worry about balancing out your proportions and worrying about including all of your nutrients. However, you absolutely have to do your research before you feed a homemade raw diet.

Here are some websites that you can read: catinfo.org, catnutrition.org, feline-nutrition.org, rawfedcats.org, and catcentric.org.

Also, please don't hate me for saying this, but please make sure that you teach your 4 year old to be very gentle with your baby kitty as they are delicate little things at that age and you don't want Daisy to learn to fear your son/daughter.

Purrs,
Shade
[notify]