GO!

Five Months on Raw, Thank you Catster!

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

Midas

'cause his touch- is too much!

Purred: Thu May 2, '13 11:17pm PST 
I think it has been five months anyways... Midas loves his food, maintains a healthy visual weight (not sure his actual weight, but he feels good and doesn't ever search for food or act hungry after dinner is served), and has a great energy level.

However, I want to post my recipe once again just to make sure things seem all good:

10 lbs chicken leg quarters with the drumstick bone removed (still bones from the thigh and back though!) ground.
3-4 lbs beef and/or pork chunks (not ground!).
1 lb or so of chicken liver.
15,000 mg of fish oil.
1200 IU of vitamin E.
150 mg of vitamin B.
9000 mg of Taurine (or more).

Sometimes 1 1/2 tablespoon of Morton's Lite Salt.
4-6 eggs.

Thank you for looking!
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Fri May 3, '13 1:53pm PST 
Congrats Midas! You sound like you're doing really well. The recipe looks ok, but the real gauge is the poop. Is it relatively dry and unsmelly? The only thing I would check is the liver amount. If you're making 14 total pounds of food your liver weight should be 1.4 pounds, or 10%. Keep up the good work!
[notify]

Midas

'cause his touch- is too much!

Purred: Fri May 3, '13 6:13pm PST 
Yes, the litterbox is SOOOOOOOOO easy to clean now. I can't even describe how much nicer it is. The first week produced some really smelly ones, but after that, I can't smell a thing. It used to be that when he pooped I would absolutely have to clean it right away or I couldn't stay in the same room, but now, when he poops 2 minutes before I get into bed (his normal time) I don't even notice and can leave it until the morning.

As for the liver, it is always at least 1.2 lbs I would say... Definitely never less than 1 lb. I will make sure I grab the larger sizes though so I can bump that up a little. Thank you again for taking the time to look!
[notify]