GO!

Lots of Questions!

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3  
Greebo

Purred: Mon Apr 29, '13 7:39am PST 
Oh, nono, I had no intention of killing the frogs in my yard. MOL! I was just adding frogs legs to my list of possible proteins in the future.

Do any of you have easily bored cats? I never had this problem with him when he got carby food, but when he ate EVO 95% and Merrick B.G. he would shun a flavor I gave him too often. He's doing that now with chicken thighs. I've giving him bone and organs, so his diet is balanced, but really the only meaty meat he's been getting are chicken thighs and he's tired of them. By the middle of last week, he wouldn't eat them at all, so I figured he was ready for some variety and picked up a duck and a rabbit. Both of those were all right when offered instead of the chicken thighs, but then he shunned it when given a whole meal of it. So now he'll eat anything with bones in it and any organ, but is turning his nose up at muscle meat other than heart : We're back to NV for the moment, since he can't just live on chicken necks.

I was thinking I should just give him NV for a couple of days to get him eating again, then start rotating through other stuff so it's not the same thing all the time...Does that sound right? I have some NV Raw Boost, which is this freeze dried raw powdery stuff I can sprinkle on his food to make them more smelly. Also, how long will you guys leave chunks of meat out? I was torn between just leaving it so he could eat it once he figured out I wasn't giving him anything else for that meal or picking it up since it's raw meat that's been on his plate for an hour.

Thanks for all of your help smile I've read tons of websites about raw feeding, but they couldn't possibly cover EVERYTHING.
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Mon Apr 29, '13 10:35am PST 
I had visions of you in the back yard, chasing frogs with a net! laugh out loud

I guess this is another good reason for lots of variety in a raw diet - no time for boredom. Definitely start rotating when he's eating regularly and start working on more variety. See if you can get some small amounts of red meat to see if Greebo is a red meat kitty and if he keeps it down.

It's probably not ideal, but I leave raw out for longer than an hour. Their systems are equipped to deal with any bacteria that develops. Just be careful for yourself - lots of hot soapy water to wash dishes, hands, etc.
[notify]

Shade

My name is not- Kittyfloss!

Purred: Mon Apr 29, '13 2:43pm PST 
Unless I particularly want to save something, I leave raw meat down for hours. I feed them a second p.m. meal before going to bed and if some is still there when I want to hop into bed for the night, then I leave it. I don't know if they finish it within the next hour, or right before I get up in the morning, but if there is any left when I get up then it goes in the garbage. I have never had a problem with leaving the meat out like this. I think my cats know if there is something that makes the meat inedible.

Since Greebo likes eating meat with bones, maybe he'd like to eat some whole prey. Sorry I can't remember, have you tried mice or quail?

Purrs,
Shade
[notify]

Greebo

Purred: Fri May 3, '13 6:31am PST 
We seem to have hit out first snag : Greebo can't handle non-poultry/rodent organs. He's had the same violent reaction to them as he did the proteins. The whole duck I bought had some unidentifiable organ in the organs bag that I've been giving him for now, but it won't last very long.

I know just giving him more liver won't work, since it'll be too much vitamin A and not enough other stuff...I've looked at the powder supplements, but those look like overkill to me since I'm feeding a variety of protein and bone and liver. Are there any specific things to supplement in the absence of a second organ? Or could I just give him a kitty multivitamin?

I will definitely keep trying for a second organ, I just don't know where else to look. I know Hare Today has a rabbit organ mix that has kidneys, but even though I live close the shipping is HIGH.
[notify]

BK

Purred: Fri May 3, '13 2:04pm PST 
Ugh, I'm sorry to hear about the organ reaction. What exactly did you try? I assume it was kidney? The only other thing I've ever found was sweetbreads. They're hard to find but I can get them from a butcher. You might try kidney from a different animal - in particular one that he hasn't eaten before. Maybe pork? Lamb?
The only other thing I can think of is to use the supplement powder *instead* of the liver so you're not overdoing on the vitamin A.
[notify]

Greebo

Purred: Sat May 4, '13 6:46am PST 
Oh, it was beef sweetbreads that we tried. They didn't have kidneys, oddly enough. At dinner, he even threw up the chicken that had been in the same container as the sweetbreads frown

The more I look at these supplements the less I like them, I'm feeling like it ruins most of point of feeding him raw. We don't know ALL the benefits he's getting from real organs. I poked around some more on Hare Today and it looks like if I make a 51 lb order, shipping is only $0.53 per pound, making it not much more expensive for rabbit than I'm paying locally and it would have all the organs. So then I could get chicken and turkey locally and then rabbit, extra rabbit organs, guinea pigs, and maybe quail at HT. I'll just have to wait until I can make enough room in my freezer for all that O_O

Feeding whole prey with the fur/feathers still on freaks me out a little o_o The whole quail/guinea pigs are much cheaper, but I can't see him eating all those feathers and stuff...Wouldn't he get more hairballs?
[notify]

BK

Purred: Sat May 4, '13 7:58am PST 
The whole prey freaks me out too. I'm not squeamish about many things but I don't really want my meat to be recognizable as the animal it came from, mol. I get almost all our meat from H-T and because the food is pretty cheap I think it's worth the shipping costs. I'm really surprised about the sweetbreads though. I wonder what's up with that? Maybe organs are richer than what he's used to? Maybe try tiny portions to start? Another problem with the powder when you feed Frankenprey is that there's really nowhere to put it.
[notify]

Shade

My name is not- Kittyfloss!

Purred: Mon May 6, '13 4:21am PST 
I buy the 1 weeek old quail chicks and you get used to them; it's just like any other food. I don't think I'd be able to feed guinea pigs though since we've had them as pets. I've tried mice, but no one was interested, so I don't bother any more. My cats never have any kind of problem because of the feathers; outdoor cats catch and eat birds with no problem, they are a natural prey for cats.

That's really too bad about your "other" organ issue, especially since it can be hard to find them. All I can ever get are beef and lamb kidneys, and I feel like I've struck gold when I see the lamb ones in the store. I hope that the H-T rabbit organs work for you. You know, if you buy the H-T "rabbit chunks (small pieces), 3lb" those pieces come with organs. I have to tell you though that lately the rabbit pieces are very boney and I end up having to trim much of the meat off the bones because I doubt my guys can get through the larger bones.

Purrs,
Shade
[notify]

Miss Tiny- Burr Burr

Love and adore.

Purred: Mon May 13, '13 10:22pm PST 
i find it extremely hard to find anything other than chicken, chicken liver, and beef liver. I dont feed beef because my girls throw it up (whole beef, not canned)

i live in an apartment or else id get some meat rabbits myself and prepare them.
[notify]

Greebo

Purred: Wed Jun 19, '13 7:13am PST 
I figured it was better to just keep this old thread going than start a new one :p

The frogs legs are a hit, if anyone was curious about feeding them! I found them at my Asian grocery.

We're still having problems with a second organ though : I have no choice but to order from Hare Today, I've exhausted all of my other local options. I know they have bags of rabbit organs and rabbit heads. I'm super interested in the heads, since he would get brains and eyeballs, but I don't know if he could handle a rabbit head... Maybe if I smash it a little with a hammer first? Hare Today says they weigh between 4 -8 ounces, but I have no concept of how big/thick the bones in a rabbit head are. I would think he would just stop if he can't get through the bones, but I don't want him to hurt his teeth o_o
[notify]

(Page 2 of 3: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  3