GO!

I think I'm nearly there...

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

Purred: Tue Mar 12, '13 11:24am PST 
I am going to order from mypetcarnivore since they are so close to me. I can pick it up and take it right home to avoid thawing.

I don't have the money for a grinder right now and I don't want to feed a bone supplement, so I figured this was the best way to go about it, especially since I would really like to eventually feed frankenprey for the tooth cleaning benefits.

I will order the four meats they offer in fine ground - rabbit, turkey, chicken and duck. My plan is to rotate them. All four are the entire ground animal except for fur, feathers and entrails.

I think since they contain organ and bone I won't need to supplement those. (Maybe more heart and liver???) I am assuming that I will need to add extra taurine, and some salmon oil...what about salt and vitamin B? Glandular supplements? Egg Yolk? That's where I'm at. I need to figure out those added vitamins, supplements and oils.

I have them worked up to a 50/50 diet of Instinct Grain Free Kibble and Wellness grain-free. I plan to have them on all canned by the end of next week.

I'm taking it slow, but I'll get there.

I am so glad I have you guys to toss my ideas at. Everyone I know in person thinks I am crazy cry

I'm still not sure why I don't have a user name!! LOL

Megan, Isabella and Zoe
[notify]

Purred: Tue Mar 12, '13 12:25pm PST 
Here are my amount and calorie calculations:

According to my vet, Zoe is a 9 pound cat who really should be a 7 pound cat. Isabella is an 11 pound cat who should weigh 9 pounds. Should I feed them according to current weight, 'desired' weight, or somewhere in the middle?

Here is what I have hashed out, based on 20-25 calories per pound and 5% of weight to find ounces of raw to feed.

Zoe

7 pounds: 140-175 calories, 5.6 oz
9 pounds: 180-225 calories, 7.2 oz

Isabella

9 pounds: 180-225 calories, 7.2 oz
11 pounds: 220 - 275 calories 8.8 oz

I don't know whether to use the calories or ounce measure. Calories feels more precise to me, but how do I go about finding calorie counts for a whole ground rabbit, duck, chicken or turkey?

On the other hand, if I use ounces, is tht ounces of meat prior to water weight and supplements added? Or is that everything all-together?
[notify]

Zoe and- Isabella's- Mama

Purred: Wed Mar 13, '13 6:55am PST 
I figured out how to get a username! Yay! cat on moon
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Wed Mar 13, '13 7:10am PST 
It does sound like you're almost there! If you're serving ground raw I would follow Dr. Pierson's recipe on catinfo.org. In theory the ground meat/bone/organs should be a nutritionally complete meal, but I always feel it's better to be safe than sorry. Don't add liver if the meat is ground with it - liver is full of vitamin A which is not flushed out of their systems. Heart is considered muscle meat, not organ. I wouldn't add it but we've often used hearts as treats over here.

Also, you should feed for ideal weight. I would do ounces after water and supplements are added. It's a process too - they will probably feel fuller from the appropriate food and you can fine tune the amount as you see how they do. BK often eats more than what his weight would suggest but he's active and burns it off.

Last, make sure they're completely off the kibble before you start the raw!

Best of luck and keep us posted on their progress!
[notify]