GO!

Raw food recipies?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

Shiloh

Purred: Mon Mar 4, '13 4:40pm PST 
I am considering switching to a raw food diet for little Shiloh. She is currently eating Whiskas kitten formula (1/2 cup left out through the day) and one packet of Whiskas Poultry Selections at night.

Shiloh LOVES her food, however, it gives her the most awful gas, and sometimes consitpates her for days.

I know the benefits of a raw food diet, however, I work full time and go to school full time so I was wondering what the recipes look like, how long they keep, and how long they normally take to make.

Could some of you post the recipes you use and any advice you have? I would greatly appreciate it!happy dance
[notify]

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Mon Mar 4, '13 5:03pm PST 
Two good recipies are http://www.catinfo.org/?link=makingcatfood and http://www.catnutrition.org/recipes.html way to go

Many people make up a big batch and portion the food into small containers and put it all in the freezer smile I've haerd of people spending a few hours in the kitchen just grinding up raw meats and bones to make raw food shrug But maybe they have multiple cats to feed and it makes sense to make a giant batch of food at once.

It takes frozen raw food about a day or so to fully defrost in the fridge so keep that in mind when planning out meals. Frozen raw food can keep for a month or so. Defrosted raw is good for up to two days in the fridge.

Commerical raw pet food or using a pre-mix with raw meat may be a better option if you don't have the time to make raw food from a recpipe.
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Tue Mar 5, '13 7:24am PST 
I use the recipe from catinfo.org with meat from Hare-Today. I get a 5 pound package of ground chicken or turkey (ground with bones and organs), add a pound of chunked turkey meat and the supplements from the recipe and package into quart size freezer bags. I take a bag out of the freezer as needed and scoop the meal portion from it. I would say it takes about an hour to make and bag the six pounds of food, and it lasts for about 3 weeks (for one cat). Hope this helps!
[notify]

Shade

My name is not- Kittyfloss!

Purred: Tue Mar 5, '13 2:07pm PST 
Hi Shiloh! I don't have too much to add, the good recipes/sites have already been posted. I just wanted to say, why not make up a small batch and see how it goes. You probably don't want to run out and make up 3 - 5 lbs of food without knowing whether Shiloh will eat it and it will give you a taste of what it is to make the food.

If you haven't already, read through the "Supplement Question" thread below this one for some further suggestions on pre-mixes and sources of meat.

Purrs,

Shade
[notify]