GO!

would you ever consider going back

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

bed- Snatchers

we steal bed- space.

Purred: Fri Feb 22, '13 1:46pm PST 
to dry kibble?

a small recap: i am a college student who doesn't have alot of money, I have 5 cats, i also live on my own and pay my own bills.

in the last year i have been feeding my cats raw diet and it's all great, they truly have never been better (except my oldest who's gums and teeth problems have returned and will need to have some of them removed)

for the past two months they have been eating nature variety raw because due to school i have had little time or energy to be able to cut they meat.
nature variety is very expensive!

and i was just wondering.. will you ever consider putting your kitties back on the dry kibble diet (giving them of course only the highest quality of dry there is)?

i have been pondering this for several weeks now.
has anyone ever ordered from hare today? and had it shipped to different location in the country? - we live in RI.
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Sat Feb 23, '13 10:34am PST 
You couldn't pay me to go back to kibble. If there were some kind of emergency I would consider going back to canned, but never kibble. I would think pre-made raw would be prohibitively expensive. It really doesn't take that much time to do it yourself. I order from Hare-Today - both ground and Frankenprey. It's about $20 to ship a month's supply for two cats. If you're within a two-day shipping point you can ship via ground. I mix up a 5 pound bag of ground raw (adding a pound of chunked meat) following Dr. Pierson's recipe and it feeds one cat for about 3 weeks. The Frankenprey I just cut into portions, bag and freeze for the other cat. It takes about an hour to do each and it's worth it. Hope this helps!
[notify]

bed- Snatchers

we steal bed- space.

Purred: Mon Feb 25, '13 4:47pm PST 
about hare today. have you ever looked into their meat suppliers? i mean i can't imagine they grow all the animals themselves?
did you ever had any issues with ordering from them during the summer?
i mean in terms of meat not being frozen enough?

I am slightly worried, it is still a couple of days of shipping... thinking
[notify]

Blackberry

Somewhere there- is love for- everyone

Purred: Tue Feb 26, '13 10:18am PST 
I too would never willingly give my cats kibble. Even the good ones, like EVO, are too devoid of moisture and too much of their protein comes from plant sources rather than animal sources. Canned would be a much better alternative to kibble if you absolutely can't do the raw, but canned is much more expensive, at least for the upper end stuff.

I order from hare-today all year long with the 2 day Fed Ex shipping. It costs me about $28 in shipping to get the package to where I live in New York. I really like the diversity of protein sources that Tracy sells and I've never had a complaint with the quality of her products. As far as shipping during the summer months, there have been times when some of the meat was starting to thaw, but I've never had anything totally thawed out. I simply use the "starting to thaw" meat as the first I portion out and freeze back down.

As for Tracy's suppliers, this statement is on her home page:

"We raise rabbits, guinea pigs and goats on our farm.

All poultry and fish are USDA inspected all natural.

Pork, beef, llama and sheep are sourced from local farmers [no feed lot animals] and processed in a licensed state facility.

All grinding, cutting and packaging is done in our shop."

A few of the specific product pages have links to more information about the meat source.

Good luck! IMHO, raw does work out to be cheaper than canned and much healthier than kibble, and that makes it worth the time it takes to cut everything up and portion it out.

Purrs,
Bakcberry's mom
[notify]

BK

Purred: Wed Feb 27, '13 12:52pm PST 
What Blackberry said! smile
I know Tracy doesn't raise all the animals on her farm but I understand she only uses local farms. All of her meat is supposedly pasture-fed which is an issue for BK because of his allergies and we've never had a problem. In the summer, like BB said, the meat starts to thaw but that just makes it easier to portion out when it arrives!
[notify]

bed- Snatchers

we steal bed- space.

Purred: Wed Apr 10, '13 10:01pm PST 
Thank you everyone!

BK I have ordered a large box from hare-today about three weeks ago, and even though it came a day late (cause i wasn't home to receive it the first time) the food was still solid frozen!
amazing. the kids have been eating it and loving it smile

I will be ordering from them again once we start running out (next week is probably going to be the time).
[notify]

BK

Purred: Thu Apr 11, '13 12:59pm PST 
I'm so glad you had a good experience with H-T. They've been a real life-saver and money-saver for us. The boxes usually have a label telling the driver to leave them even if there's no one home. You should emphasize that in the comments section of your order - maybe they can mark the box "No signature required" or something.
[notify]

bed- Snatchers

we steal bed- space.

Purred: Sun Apr 21, '13 10:46am PST 
oh i have, but i guess fedex guy doesn't know his doors, cause he left it for the second time in a row with my neighbors, i will make sure to leave a comment for next time and empathizes which door to leave it at (i live at a duplex and my there are four doors confused
[notify]