GO!

Raw "pill pockets"

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 14)  
1  2  
Delyte, Dark- Angel, at- Bridge

Me and my- person, together- against all

Purred: Thu Feb 21, '13 12:49pm PST 
This is Delyte. Sorry the meat ball didn't work. Have you tried him on different flavors of cheese? He might like a real stinky one like blue cheese. Does he like other dairy products? Sour cream and cottage cheese can hide a pill, and a small one can be hidden in ice cream. I would eat anything in ice creaqm, but clearly Blackberry is not like me.

Worst case scenario. You can get medications reformulated not only into liquid, but into a salve that you can rub on the inside of the ear. This is how I take my thyroid meds, as I have the world's most touchy stomach and all meds upset me. [I had major surgery on my stomach and intestines when I was ten and nothing is normal down there now.] I've been taking my med like this for 4 years and it is going pretty well. I am here, anyway!

Giant black purrs! cat on moon
[notify]

Gypsy

Purred: Sat Feb 23, '13 12:06am PST 
FortiFlora has made pilling our cat a breeze

I'd recommend anyone having trouble pilling their cats give it a try

Make kibble-sized bits of pill completely contained in pill pocket. (You might need to cut you pill in quarters or something to get the wrapped pills so small) you want them to be gulped or swallowed whole, not chewed

Then roll in fortiflora powder

Most cats will take these

If they're still chewing and finding the pill inside,then start with areal treat, just as they start to eat, put down the pill pocket on the floor, so they just swallow the first treat to get to the second one. Of course the second one is the pill pocket, and as soon as your cat starts eating, set a third real treat on the floor. Hopefully she just swallows the pill pocket so she can get to the third treat

I tried cheese and pill pockets and pilling and pill guns and compounding medications, and it was all hell for cat and me till I found the fortiflora.
[notify]

Blackberry

Somewhere there- is love for- everyone

Purred: Thu Feb 28, '13 1:00pm PST 
Thank you again everyone for your suggestions; I have tried several of them. BB is already tired of the Fortiflora and doesn't care if it's on his pill pockets, duck hearts, or meatballs, although at first the FF really got him to eat the pill up right away.

The ground beef pill "meatballs" worked great last night, but today he only ate them if I rolled them around in the liquid from a can of tuna packed in water.

I can still try the addition of parmesan cheese to the outside of whatever pill treat I feed him. I have a feeling that I'm going to have to switch it up every time I give him pills, which now is 3x/day. I think he's becoming very suspicious of all these treats appearing for no reason. But hopefully I'll be rid of one type of pill after tomorrow!

Purrs,
BB's mom
[notify]

Delyte, Dark- Angel, at- Bridge

Me and my- person, together- against all

Purred: Thu Feb 28, '13 10:07pm PST 
This is Delyte. Boy, Blackberry, you are one smart cat! Escalating your treats every time and getting them rolled in cheese! You must give us all a tutorial on how you manipulate your person into doing this. Just like old Grandfather Conrad gave us lessons on how to be bad kitties a few years ago.

I am so gluttonous that any of these tricks would have worked--I could not have resisted.
[notify]

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 14)  
1  2