GO!

Really different portion size for different brands?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

Gypsy

Purred: Sun Feb 3, '13 4:23pm PST 
I've been feeding Furry Foodie which says feed 6 oz daily for every 8 lbs of body weight.

My cat is about 8 1/2 lbs, so I've been giving her 3 meals of roughly 2 oz each.

However, she's been having some tummy troubles, so I'm trying a different brand... Instinct Raw Frozen Duck. According to their calculator (http://www.naturesvariety.com/feedguide), a 9 lb very active cat should eat 3/4 cup of Instinct Frozen Raw Bites Duck a day.

However, I didn't read the instructions before measuring out her meals, so I just weighed out 2 oz portions. It looked like about twice as much as her furry foodie meals, and indeed she only ate about half of it.

The 2 oz of Instinct Raw Frozen Duck looked like about 1/2 cup (just eyeballing it) when the recommended portion is only 1/4 cup. Since I was using a food scale, my weights are precise, but my 1/2 cup vs 1/4 cup is a rough guess.

So, at the end of all of this, I'm wondering why my cat should eat about 6 oz of one brand of frozen raw cat food, and what seems like half of that of another brand of frozen raw food.

Using the frankenprey model, a 8.5 lb very active cat should require just under 6 oz of food a day.

So what gives?
[notify]