GO!

Newby

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

Purred: Mon Dec 10, '12 7:22am PST 
Well we have finally taken the leap because of how well the dog has done with the raw chicken backs. All four cats, Dick, Doodle, Gabby, and Smudge have taken to the ground backs pretty well. I have a few questions I would LOVE answered. 1. Is it normal for cats to eat less raw per feeding than they would a quality canned food? 2. We have had a few pukey incidents, but it seemed to be hairballs and fluid only. No upsets for at least 3 days now, so wondering if it was an adjustment thing or just the furballs? 3. Supplements...We are adding taurine, b complex, E, fish oil, egg yolk, cooked egg white, liver and water to ground chicken backs. Please advise me if this is ok and if I should be adding Immoplex or psyillium husk? I want to make sure they are all getting proper nutrition of course, but "the little guy", Smudge, is not quite a year old so I am concerned about giving him proper supplements if he needs them. Thank you!
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Mon Dec 10, '12 1:40pm PST 
I can try to help. Is there any reason that you're only giving chicken backs? My guess is that they consist of more than 10% bone which is what you should be aiming for. Ideally you should be grinding the whole chicken, bones and organs included.
1. They may be eating less because the raw is more satisfying. The higher the protein, the more satisfied they are. If they're not throwing up the food I wouldn't worry.
2. I think you're ok for supplements - those are all the ones I use but again, I buy whole ground animals.

I wouldn't add psyllium yet - wait and make sure each one is pooping well. The poop should be small and dry, but not chalky, white and crumbling. Too dry is a sign of too much bone. So I'd hate to see you adding psyllium because they're straining to poop when it's from the bone content and not because they need fiber.

Also, if possible you should try some variety in your proteins if you can. You might find your guys enjoy some red meat or things like turkey or rabbit.

I hope this helps! Feel free to ask more questions and congrats on switching to such a healthy diet for your furkids.
[notify]

Purred: Tue Dec 11, '12 8:01am PST 
do you have any idea where in upstate ny i can buy whole ground animals?
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Tue Dec 11, '12 5:23pm PST 
You can order from Hare-Today.com. If you're within a two day shipping point you can have it sent via ground service to keep the shipping charges down. Otherwise you might check with a butcher to see if they would grind a whole carcass for you.
[notify]

Merida

Purred: Tue Dec 18, '12 3:20pm PST 
I am not a pro in this department, but I can offer a little reassurance..

Merida ate canned as a small kitten, and was transfered onto raw due to her neurological condition. As a 4 week old kitten, she ate 2-3 cans of kitten food a day. On the raw she eats about a cup a day, so close to at least half less raw than canned. I noticed she stays fuller longer on the raw, 6 feedings of canned a day as a small kitten or 4 of raw.

Also, I have found butchers to be pretty good. However, I am in Canada. We contacted a butcher and he asked a supplier to gather all the organ meat from the birds he is butchering and bringing to the butcher for Xmas turkey orders, and the butcher will package them all for us however we want with no additional cost, he is actually giving them to us free. Hopefully you can find someone that will grind for you for little to no cost.
[notify]