GO!

Starting cat on raw with a kidney tumor??

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

Purred: Thu Nov 22, '12 6:04pm PST 
Hello!

If anyone is wondering why my picture is of a dog, it is because I post on the Dogster raw forum all the time and have just decided to give my cat a go with raw.

Anyway, she is 11 years old and has a tumor on her kidney. Other than some weight loss, all of her tests have come back in the normal range and it hasn't officially been diagnosed as cancerous, though I am fairly certain that it most likely is. She really slowed down on her dry food, so I began feeding her canned since I was told that at this point, it's most important than ever that she is eating. At first, she was allllll about it. Now, I think she is bored with what I am giving her. She hasn't lost her appetite for other food, such as boiled chicken or even the canned dog food I have to use on one of my dog's kibble for the time being. She will eat Special Kitty with no problem!

Two of my three dogs are fed raw and it's the best! The other dog is a rescue and I am trying to put weight on him so he's eating kibble. I would like to begin feeding my cat ground whole raw. I know it isn't beneficial for the teeth with ground, but that's not my concern at this point.

Does anyone have any experience with starting feeding a cat raw that shows no signs of health issues from a tumor other than minor weight loss? I am planning to order duck, goose, turkey, rabbit, and chicken. Will this provide her with the necessary nutrients or does another source need to be added?
[notify]

Beatrice- (Miss You!- '94-'12)

The very Beast- of all

Purred: Fri Nov 23, '12 3:22am PST 
I don't have much experience with raw diets, but my heart goes out to you and your kitty!

It seems to me that the most important thing right now is to get your kitty eating. Which brands of canned have you tried besides Special Kitty? The cats in our family have usually found Fancy Feast nearly impossible to resist. Tiki Cat makes a higher quality food that we've found is rarely rejected--especially the fishy flavors.

When all else fails, chicken or turkey baby food (make sure it has no onion or garlic--Beechnut Stage 1 is usually a safe bet) can often get a kitty to eat. It's not nutritionally complete by itself, but can do for some calories in a pinch. You can also mix it with canned cat food to stimulate interest.

As far as raw goes, we've only tried the pre-made frozen diets, so can't advise you on preparing nutritionally complete meals from scratch. You might try some of the frozen formulas, though, to see what your kitty will eat while you continue to explore your options.

Sending purrs! Please keep us posted! hug

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Sun Nov 25, '12 4:49am PST 
Although variety is very important in raw feeding, the proportions are more important. I assume since you're doing raw for the dogs you know the 80%/10%/5%/5% guidelines. The bigger issue for you will be what she WILL eat. She'll decide on your variety, not you! laugh out loud Best of luck.
[notify]

Purred: Mon Nov 26, '12 12:19pm PST 
Well, if I'm doing whole ground, the percentages shouldn't be an issue, correct? It's the entire animal ground. I am only doing ground because I feel like she'll eat that without much issue. Granted, she may not like the source, but we'll see.
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Mon Nov 26, '12 3:22pm PST 
You're absolutely right - if you're grinding the whole animal then percentages shouldn't be an issue. Please keep us posted on how she does.
[notify]

Amber

Georgian Blue

Purred: Sat Dec 1, '12 10:29am PST 
Do you know if the tumor is malignant? It's best to follow your vet's instructions when it comes to something this serious. Keep an eye on her and make sure she is not in any pain. Just keep her as comfortable as possible, as you are looking at something that is more than likely fatal. Give her lots of soft bedding to rest on. Just love her. Don't ever give any pain medication without consulting your veterinarian first!
[notify]

Purred: Mon Dec 3, '12 8:42am PST 
It most likely is malignant. My vet has to,d me that at this point, she just needs to eat! You can't even tell anything is wrong with her. She has lost weight, but other than that, no change.
[notify]