GO!

RAW & My confusing kitten

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 17)  
1  2  
BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Fri Sep 14, '12 11:43am PST 
OMC, she's adorable! This could definitely be CH or a neurological injury that causes similar symptoms. She is tiny though and if her digestive system is underdeveloped, that could explain her problem with bones.

I have a CH kitty and I know that often they get "better" as they get older. As they develop more muscle they can control their movements better. Also, I found with mine that she was more wobbly when she got here - when she was just skin and bones. As she put a little weight on she was better balanced - gravity I guess!
[notify]

Merida

Purred: Fri Sep 14, '12 4:48pm PST 
A little update: Today Merida woke up with a fever. She was shaking and gut renching. She did her litterbox business still even through these symptoms but refused any water, broth, ginger, chamomile, food... No vomiting or diarrhea. She looked a little constipated IMO tho, no trouble passing it, but you could see a little bit where things had formed together. I brought her fever down with an ice pack, comforted her, and snuck a little eggshell powder in her broth. Then she was alert and 'Merida' normal again, but I made an appointment with the only holistic vet in our area (I am 50/50 on them, their website has raw recipies that call for rolled oats, veggies kind of thing) It's a large bill to see the vet but Merida has an appointment on Wed.

These could be signs of low calcium... or the various other things. She could have caught something at the emergency clinic last week for her mite treatment.

Our vet wanted to see her, so we took her in. By the time we got there, she had a fever again, was a little distressed of course from the long car ride and being wrapped in a blanket. My vet, once again told me its the distemper finally kicking in, and that it started last week with her dizzy spells, probably NOT caused by the mites. He refused to do bloodwork I asked for, I asked we test her calcium and kidney values, being her health was so bad when I scooped her up, I just wanna make sure im giving her what her little body needs. He saw her walking video, and it confused him. He saw her eating video, it confused him. Cats with distemper can't eat, nor walk. He also checked her eye movement, which once again confused him because she isnt a typical CH case. So he gave no official diagnosis, but leans to "You are living on false hope". I also showed him The Missing Link vitamins, and he said she is getting enough calcium from that and her food I feed her.

I am ready to bang my head against the wall. Hoping the holistic vet helps, I KNOW she has something neurological going on, I don't deny that. I just wanna make her healthy to the best she can be, and happy dangit!

After her visit today, an anti-inflammitory shot and antibiotic, she was starving so I seared her usual recipe (since red meat is hard on the GI tract) with a small dash of egg shell powder since I don't have a doseage for her. Let's hope I am right!

Thanks all for the hope and wonderful words. It's comforting to know I have people behind me not only on raw, but the choice I made to keep her living. If you see her videos, she is like any normal cat.. Just wobbly!
[notify]

BK

Purred: Sat Sep 15, '12 2:28pm PST 
Gosh, I hope she's ok. I don't think you'd be seeing a calcium deficiency that quickly, but I'm glad your vitamins have calcium in them anyway. A lot of vets *still* want to put down CH kittens even though they can have wonderful lives. Hang in there and hopefully you'll get to the bottom of it.
[notify]

Merida

Purred: Sun Sep 23, '12 5:10pm PST 
Merida saw the holistic vet, it turns out she should be over her head injury by now the vet said, and she has lived through distemper. It stayed mild due to the raw food, herbals, and care I was giving her. She fought it, and won! She is on the mend now, on some natural trauma healing medication. She also had worms since before I snatched her up. So a dewormer was given as well. Turns out her tummy wrenching, fever, and digestive problems were from the worms more than likely. I had her on canned food since her tummy wrenching for easy digestion. The vet thinks she will make a complete recovery and be a completely normal cat, without a wobble! If the previous vets would have actually looked her over, alot could have been solved sooner than later.

She also showed no signs of worms, and only 2 small possible signs of distemper (possible and unserious signs of other medical conditions) . She is a strong little kitten!
[notify]

Pandora

go getter kitter

Purred: Wed Sep 26, '12 7:09pm PST 
This whole thing bothers me...there is NO SUCH DISEASE a s "distemper' so why the vet would use this term baffles me...it is panleukopenia, or calici, or infection, or chlamydia or whatever, but there is no 'distemper' with symptom of 'inability to to walk' and I would NEVER go to that vet again unless they showed willingness to use CORRECT terminology, at the bare minimum.
[notify]

BK

Purred: Thu Sep 27, '12 10:35am PST 
I'm just glad she's doing well. Concats on being there for her and getting her better!
[notify]

Merida

Purred: Thu Nov 29, '12 4:44pm PST 
Pandora, from what I understand is that some older vets call it distemper, and the inability to walk comes.from the extremely high fever they get usually just before they die which overheats them and damages their brain. I do not believe this is Meridas cause, i believe it is from her two very bad falls onto concrete. She has a spot between her shoulders up into her neck that are swollen and inflamed. Certain motions cause her neurological signs, etc. I hate to say, but I am doing my own thing with her, but I am thankful she got herbal help to get better compared to western medicine with a bunch of side effects. She had been through enough.

A little update, she is doing well. I work on vestibular rehab with her to help her wobbles which has done wonders, and we do physio on her back legs at home to strengthen them. She can walk 5 steps, fall to her bum, and get back up and do it again. We are getting there!
[notify]

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 17)  
1  2