GO!

Feeding raw to an FLV+ cat?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

Vincent

Please- spay/neuter your- feline companion

Purred: Thu Aug 16, '12 7:30pm PST 
When Vincent first stepped on our doorstep I figured I would feed him a half raw diet. But I kept reading over and over that raw wasn't good for cats with compromised immune systems, such as those with Feline Leukemia. Because parasites can get into the blood stream more easily in cats that are immune compromised.

But I've also read freezing raw meat will kill off parasites and most bacterias, but this was in regards to healthy dogs and raw.

Since all the veterinarians here are trained via Hills and Purina, those are the foods they swear by and push. So what is the real deal, is it better or worse for cats like Vincent, who come to us with compromised immune systems, to have a raw diet or worse? If it matters, he is an indoor cat.
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Wed Aug 22, '12 5:49am PST 
I can only speak from my experience, but BK is on a medicine that suppresses his immune system because of his allergies. He has never had a problem with raw but FLV is a different immune system problem so I hate to speculate. I *think* you'd be ok.
[notify]