GO!

New babies and RAW

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

Mew Mew

Purred: Wed Aug 8, '12 3:03am PST 
Hellowave, I am new to Catster (have always been on the dogster side lol). I have 2 kittens. They are 6 week old rescues. They are a little under weight and they also do not like their food that much. They do however devour random pieces of cooked meat off my plate. I would really like to start them on raw but don't know where to start as I have only fed my dogs raw. How much do I have to feed them and how often? What types of meat should I feed? Are kittens able to chew through bones and if so which bones are ok and which aren't?
Sorry for asking so many questions and thanks in advance! I just want whats best for my new babies cloud 9
[notify]

Mew Mew

Purred: Thu Aug 9, '12 1:40am PST 
Totally was half asleep last night when I posted thislaugh out loud...didn't see that there was another forum topic that was almost the exact samenaughty
Anyone have a link to any great info to get me started?

Edited by author Thu Aug 9, '12 1:44am PST

[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Thu Aug 9, '12 12:20pm PST 
Hi Mew Mew, and welcome! You have a couple options with feeding raw to kittens. You can feed ground raw (I recommend Catinfo.org for all the info you need) or you can do Frankenprey, which is probably what you do for the dogs? It's really no different, you just have to make sure you account for taurine (you can add a supplement or you can be sure to feed red meat, dark meat poultry and chicken hearts and gizzards - all of which contain taurine). I did an article for Alex's IBD website that might help get you started: http://www.ibdkitties.net/rawinstructions.html

Keep us posted and feel free to pmail me with any questions!
[notify]

Mew Mew

Purred: Fri Aug 10, '12 9:38pm PST 
Hi BKwave
thank you so much for the links! They were very helpfulway to go and yes I did the frankenprey with my puppy. She now lives at my friends place temp. I just didn't know what bones kittens were able to actually chew through and eat. And on another random site they were saying that pork and beef etc wasn't good for cats because they wouldn't eat that in the "wild". I was very skeptic about that and it kinda made me laugh a little but then when I checked out a local raw food company and the only thing they were selling for cats was chicken and turkey I was confused. I didn't look into the dog portion of their products because they all contain veggie and fruit and the cat products don't. The other thing I have to think about is portion, because I sadly am temporarily living in a tiny basement apartment with one of those tiny bar type fridges so I have to buy meat in small portions so that they can finish it within 2 days. Its a pain in the butt but I'm doing my best smile
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Tue Aug 14, '12 10:35am PST 
That's all we can do is our best! Just so you know, BK is a HUGE red meat fan. He doesn't like chicken but he'd eat beef every day if I let him. I've also recently added port to his rotation and he loves it. So yes, you may have trouble finding red meat flavors in pre-made raw but there's no reason they can't have it.
[notify]