GO!

Supplements for balanced home prepared food?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

Osinka

Purred: Thu Jun 14, '12 11:20am PST 
Hi, I am researching home prepared diets. The recipe on catinfo.org is the one i found first. But my vet also gave me websites for balanceit and petdiets.com. Those look pretty different. I don't really care whether the food is raw or not. I am just trying to understand how to make it balanced. Any ideas on what side to take?
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Fri Jun 15, '12 5:17pm PST 
Personally, I'm on the catinfo.org side. I remember looking at balanceit and something about it bothered me - I can't remember what. My vet also recommended it when I told her I was starting a raw diet, but I did so much research before I started that I felt I could do it without a product like that. But if you're not feeding raw, what are you trying to balance exactly?
[notify]

Osinka

Purred: Fri Jun 15, '12 9:18pm PST 
My vet is against raw feeding. But my cats are just better on raw food. I vary it with canned now. And on raw days they are so much more active and get full faster and don't get hungry for longer.
Well, I was thinking that partially boiling or baking can also work. Is it ok to use the same supplement content then?
What confuses me about catonfo site is that the recipe has less eggs and they can be omitted while the recipe on TCFeline site says that eggs and liver already contain vitamines e,d, abd b. is it bad to add more of the vitamines ? Or more than 2000 mg of taurine?
[notify]

BK

Purred: Sun Jun 17, '12 12:58pm PST 
All vitamins but A will be flushed out of their systems in any amounts they don't need, so you don't need to worry about that. A is mostly found in liver, so if you're feeding liver - and you should be - just don't supplement A. Do be aware however that cooking will destroy nutrients so it's hard to guess accurate amounts of supplements to add. If you must cook, I would just dip the meat into boiling water and remove immediately. This will kill any surface bacteria and still keep the nutrients.
[notify]

Osinka

Purred: Mon Jun 18, '12 5:46am PST 
Oh, really! That's great! I was mostly worried about taurine. I added a bit more than the amount indicated in the recipe on cat info.

I did add liver. And my cat loves the food. I mean, she loves all food I think... but after this one she just gets satiated very fast.
[notify]

BK

Purred: Tue Jun 19, '12 4:59am PST 
That's the great thing about raw. Because it's exactly what their systems need, they get full much faster and start thriving!

In any event, you can't give too much taurine. If you're not sure, add can add more. Also, dark meat poultry and hearts and gizzards are full of taurine. We use gizzards as treats. Clean teeth and taurine are an extra bonus!
[notify]