GO!

Raw menu

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

Moka

Purred: Fri May 18, '12 9:23am PST 
Im converting my cats to raw. My white female Moka is eating it like she has been eating it her whole life. Isnt eating bones yet but will try smashing some up and see if she will start. SHe eats canivora patties and nibbles on meat. Im going to start converting Buddy my female black that refuses to eat raw using wet cat food and slowly adding pattie into it. Once she is eating carnivora patties I will switch to half the day patties and half meat bones organ.

Do I have the amounts down right for how much approximately they should eat?

Moka 8 pounds 0.32 per day = 2.4 pounds a week = 38.4 ounces

Buddy 8 pounds 0.32 per day = 2.4 pounds a week = 38.4 ounces

cats
•80% raw boneless meat. 30.72= 4.39 oz per day

•10% raw edible sized meaty bones. 3.84= 0.55 per day

•5-10% squishy organ meats, with half that amount being liver, there should be a lot of heart also for taurine. 3.84 oz = 1.92 oz per meal(2 meals per week)

Edited by author Fri May 18, '12 9:26am PST

[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Sun May 20, '12 6:02am PST 
Hi Moka! Your math looks ok, but I just want to mention that heart is not considered organ meat, but muscle meat. You need another secreting organ besides liver. The most common is kidney but if you can find something like spleen or thymus, that would be ok too.
[notify]

Shade

My name is not- Kittyfloss!

Purred: Mon May 21, '12 9:53am PST 
Also, you don't have to balance the muscle meat/bones/organs every day. Most people balance these out over a period of time such as a week. As BK already mentioned, please don't count heart, or gizzards for that matter, as organs; they count as muscle meat and what you need are secreting organs.

Purrs,
Shade
[notify]