GO!

Ideas for a VERY Picky Eater?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  
BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Fri May 11, '12 2:41pm PST 
Cinder, keep me posted on the rabbit bones. BK also prefers chunks and won't touch ground, AND he's not crazy about bones. We finally compromised. He gets a small chicken neck every morning. Once he's done with that he can have what he considers the good stuff - the meat. If you can find ONE thing that Cinder can tolerate, you might be on your way. It's always a big trial and error with some kitties!
[notify]

Cinder

Purred: Tue May 15, '12 6:08am PST 
Just a quick update - we have made some progress! happy dance

I ground the rabbit bones up and offered a bit to Cinder plain, but as usual he refused even to taste it (he tried to cover his plate with the rug).

I was expecting that however, so later I tried mixing in a spoonful with some canned food. To my surprise he licked his plate clean! The next day same thing (and he even ate left over canned food with it shock). I gave it a couple days to completely clear his system, and it seems to have gone through with no issues, yay!

I'm de-thawing another bag of the ground bone to try again, and I'll also give the whole ground rabbit (from Hare-Today) another shot (mixed with canned of course!)

Cinder also ate ground green-tripe with spleen mixed into his canned food for breakfast this morning. If he'll continue to eat ground bones/organs mixed with his canned and boneless raw chunks on the side then I will have something to work with to keep him balanced and healthy!
[notify]

BK

Purred: Wed May 16, '12 8:43am PST 
Oh Cinder, I'm thrilled for you and your mom! cheer

Sounds like you're well on your way - keep us posted!
[notify]

Cinder

Purred: Fri May 18, '12 7:34am PST 
Both H-T ground rabbit and RadCat Lamb have stayed down fine, but they have to be mixed with can food in at least a 50-50 ratio (he turned his nose up at both plain). I won't complain though! Last time he had the ground from H-T he threw it up, but I think it was rabbit mixed with chicken, so we'll be sure to keep poultry off the menu for Cinder smile I'm still trying to pin-point what he's sensitive to as there isn't an obvious pattern (except for poultry, but he doesn't like it anyways).

Also, as I mentioned in another post, I just used my new dehydrator to make some liver jerky for the kitties, and to my surprise Cinder went bonkers for the jerkified pork liver. I've never seen him so excited over organs before! Normally they get a snort and the cold shoulder, so I'm hoping this will be a way to get more organ into him, along with what's in the ground mixes!

Edited by author Fri May 18, '12 7:36am PST

[notify]

Egon &- Astrid

Life is made for- loving.

Purred: Sat May 19, '12 6:10am PST 
I am sorry to suggest this, since you're clearly very into the idea of a raw diet, but the food may be too rich over all for him.

Egon was eating grain-free foods. Up and down the scale, no matter what I tried, the better it was the worse his digestive upset got. Lower-quality foods solicited grumpy mealtimes and diarrhea; higher-quality turned into temper tantrums over bellyrubs and retching, food refusal, but no actual vomiting. At the time they were eating dry exclusive, I have a feeling on wet we would have seen the vomit.

Your sensitive kitty may need a lower-quality diet, so his poor body has something to grind up and focus on, rather than rejecting the good stuff you're trying to feed him. I'd suggest trying to add in a lower-quality canned food and see if he can handle that. I don't expect you'd like to jump from raw to dry =)

Sensitive Egon now eats a can (5.5oz) of wet food a day, with no repercussions.
[notify]

Cinder

Purred: Mon May 21, '12 8:40am PST 
Thank you for the input, and sorry to hear about Egon's issues frown

That's definitely something to keep in mind, and if Cinder can't handle a balanced raw diet then I will have to move on to just canned options. I'd rather see him eat and be healthy then get sick on raw.

However he is doing well on a 50/50 diet, and actually his raw portion is more around 60% at this point. I'm taking it slowly, and as long as he's eating and digesting it fine (which he is so far, keeping fingers crossed!) we'll continue with what works.

Luckily he's not only handling whole ground raw rabbit, but enjoying it enough to lick his plate clean (only when mixed with canned, but still good!) He also seems to be less picky now about his chunk meats and is happily eating boneless pork, beef, lamb, rabbit and heart big grin

He still wont touch sardines though - finicky little thing!
[notify]

Cinder

Purred: Tue Jun 12, '12 6:34am PST 
Update -

Cinder has been doing great these past few weeks on a mix of N.V. canned and raw ground. He's been handling whole ground H-T rabbit, ground beef green tripe with spleen, and RadCat Lamb flavor with no issues at all. I've even gotten the raw portion to 75% with 25% canned happy dance He has boneless pork, beef, rabbit and heart (beef/pork) in between and some dehydrated pork liver, raw quail eggs, and goat's milk yogurt here and there also.

I just bought a chub of the Bravo Lamb to try, but unfortunately the store didn't have the plain meat one, so I had to get the meat/bone/organ mix which has a bit of veggies in it too (no added vitamins though). After a breakfast of it mixed with some Halo (didn't want to do N.V. in-case he threw up and then stopped eating it!) which he ate happily, he puked it all back up less than 15 minutes later cry

I've been trying to add only one new thing at a time, so now it's a quandary since it could be the lamb organs (he can handle the liver and heart in radcat though - so kidney?), or the raw veggies (squash, carrot and celery in this one) but N.V. canned has veggies in it too albeit cooked - or it could of been the Halo which he hasn't had in awhile, but he had eaten it fine before...

Then again, mixed into the puke was a hair ball and a rabbit rib - so the chunk of rabbit he stole from the other kitties last night had ribs in it (Didn't think he'd eat those whole!)... but he eats whole ground rabbit and ground rabbit bones no problem... he would of thrown those up last night if it was an issue though right? So back to square one!

I guess I'll try the Bravo again later with N.V. canned and hope for the best. Very puzzling what will and what won't stay down - but at least he's getting a little less picky!
[notify]

BK

Purred: Fri Jun 15, '12 5:05pm PST 
I guess you have to go back to adding only one new thing at a time, spaced far apart to figure it out. But it sounds like you're doing great!
[notify]

Cinder

Purred: Sun Jul 22, '12 7:14am PST 
I wanted to give a final update in case others had similar issues to what I've had with Cinder!

He's been happily eating a mix of canned Nature's Variety with raw Hare-Today ground meats. I've been able to get him to eat (and keep down) raw ground rabbit, turkey, mutton/lamb and pork. He also gets boneless beef, pork and heart chunks to chew.

Cinder still can't handle N.V. or Bravo raw, but he can handle RadCat raw (lamb and turkey kinds). Not sure what is different between the raw N.V. and the canned, but for now as long as he is eating, keeping it down and getting a good variety of proteins I am happy! happy dance

Thank you again to everyone for your help and suggestions! It paid to re-try some items that he had thrown up previously since now he's eating them fine. He also just had his vet checkup (for rabies booster) and was deemed 100% healthy - both the vet and tech were amazed at how soft and shiny his fur is too laugh out loud
[notify]

BK

Purred: Mon Jul 23, '12 4:49pm PST 
Yay Cinder! So glad to hear how well it's going. And it's definitely a process. It took us a long time to finally settle BK's diet and it's always a work in progress!
[notify]

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2