GO!

Study comparing cost of raw to canned / kibble

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

Merlin - An Angel- Forever

*Poof*

Purred: Fri Apr 20, '12 6:05pm PST 
Saw this posted at FelineDiabetes.com:

New and extensive comparison of cat food prices (raw vs cannved vs kibble) finds that feeding commercial raw is affordable! When comparing the actual cost of feeding at the recommended amounts, delivered commercial raw can often be cheaper than commercial canned foods, specifically the analyst says cheaper than Friskies. (note: feeding home made raw is cheaper still, and has much better ingredients...)

Worried about feeding raw? Don't be! Domestic cats have been eating raw prey for thousands of years; their short, highly acidic gastrointestinal tract is made to handle raw food and efficiently kills an estimated 98% of pathogens. Check out Dr. Lisa's www.catinfo.org and this Catcentric article.

Worried about feeding raw to your immune-compromised cat? This article explains why these cats need the proven immune-stimulating effects of raw even more!

Here is a comparison chart, regarding various commercial raw options. I do notice that Hare-Today.com products are left off... perhaps because they need supplements added?

The comparison chart is pretty neat smile It lists a lot of brands of raw food, what the ingredients are, comments about the food, etc. I've never even heard of some of the raw food brands listed.
[notify]

Allen

Just one of- Auntie Crazy's- crew.

Purred: Fri Apr 20, '12 7:57pm PST 
Glad you're finding that information interesting, Merlin!

Hare-Today products were not included because the comparison was strictly between commercially-prepared "balanced" food products.

Best regards!

Auntie Crazy
[notify]

Alex (sweet- angel girl)

Angel on a- mission!

Purred: Sat Apr 21, '12 11:04am PST 
Tracey is that the chart that Laurie was doing? WOW!!! You should have told me, I gotta put a link to this on my site and in my newsletter!!! PAWSOME JOB!
[notify]

Allen

Just one of- Auntie Crazy's- crew.

Purred: Sat Apr 21, '12 11:19am PST 
I'm sorry, hun, I didn't even think of it!

I'm glad you found it anyway! :-}

Auntie Crazy
[notify]

Munchkin

Always up to- some kind of- mischief...

Purred: Mon Apr 30, '12 10:57am PST 
Raw is awesome. Sure it's a bit more expensive, but you're saving SO much on vet bills in the future.

My favourite is rabbit (with organs). I'm a picky eater... My Mamma tried feeding me a mix of beef and rabbit but I can't be fooled!
[notify]

Wilbur

The white is for- sugar

Purred: Tue Jun 5, '12 7:57am PST 
My thinking about feline diets is evolutionary. First I believed the myth dry food is better for their teeth (it sure looks like they are chewing kibbles). After my last vet explained cats don't really chew their food, I continued to feed dry food while adding canned food, switching both cats from Science Diet to Blue Buffalo for a healthier recipe. However, the 2007 pet food recall was a huge wake-up call that what we buy at pet stores is not good enough for our cats. So while buying d/d rabbit and pea (Hill's dry, Royal Canin wet) from a dermatologist who treated Wilbur for many allergies, I started wondering if I should cook for my next kitten instead of buy something off the shelf.

The answer: Until somebody makes grain-free wet food with everything and only things cats need, home cooking is the way to go, whether it is more expensive or not. But is there any commercially available wet food to spare me the time it takes to cook for my cats? I assumed there is not.

So after years of believing cats must eat what I can buy at Petco or Petsmart (even if it is not purrfect) I am beginning to think it is important to learn about feeding raw food to cats, even if for no other reason but to learn more about feline nutrition. How do you find an uncooked rabbit to buy, anyway? To gain a better understanding of feline dietary needs I think the best place to start is a forum for people who feed raw food to their cats. Maybe someday, I actually will buy a raw mouse or rabbit, even if I end up cooking it.
[notify]