GO!

Whiskers

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

Karela

Purr-meow?

Purred: Sun Apr 1, '12 2:21pm PST 
I'm not sure if this is related to the raw food diet or something else, but I'm worried it's the diet so...

We got Karela about 1 year ago and started her pretty quickly on raw feeding. When we got her she had a ton of thick, long whiskers including a couple of white ones. Within a few months of getting her, I noticed a lot of shedding of her whiskers (maybe 5-6 whiskers, including the white ones, which have never returned). She still seemed/seems to have plenty on her face (though they are very fine/thin), so I tried to make sure I was going by the book with her nutrient balance and supplements (following the Dr. Pierson/catnutrition.org formula). Following the initial higher-shed period, I have seen a few more drop (probably 3-4 over the last 9 months?)

Karela is the first strictly indoor cat I've ever had, so perhaps our other cats left their whiskers outdoors, but I don't ever remember finding cat whiskers around. I tried to look around the 'net and mostly found people saying "it happens, don't worry about it".

She otherwise seems extremely healthy - thick, shiny coat, very friendly and full of energy, but it still worries me. Low-stress life - no other cats, no dogs, kids and my husband and I both work from home so she gets pretty constant attention if she wants it. She has also gained a couple pounds since we got her (not overweight at all though, she was just thin to begin with).

Any similar experiences or ideas as to what might cause this? I can't help but worry. frown

Edited by author Sun Apr 1, '12 2:22pm PST

[notify]

Scooter

Even the sun- loves me.

Purred: Thu Apr 5, '12 5:50am PST 
It is perfectly natural for a cat to shed whiskers just like fur. There was a couple profiled in "Must Love Cats" that collected all the fallen cat whiskers and, man, did they have a stack.

I do find them on the sofa, my chair, on the floor, under the table. It is just like our hair falling out and since your baby is strong and healthy, I would not worry about it.
[notify]

Quagmire

Giggity giggity- goo!

Purred: Tue May 1, '12 7:50am PST 
Whiskers are kind of like eyelashes, and hair in general... Sometimes it falls, but it'll grow back eventually shortly after.
[notify]

Wilbur

The white is for- sugar

Purred: Wed Jun 6, '12 1:15pm PST 
I volunteered at a local animal shelter the last eight years. One of the cats had no whiskers. It was the first time I had ever seen that. The residents at that shelter eat dry Science Diet so it definitely is NOT related to raw food being made wrong.
[notify]