GO!

Has anyone ever offered their cat live prey?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 14)  
1  2  
max

here to help

Purred: Wed Apr 18, '12 4:13pm PST 
no real need. premium cat foods offer complete nutrition with high digestability making it pound for pound cheaper than grocery store brands and keeps box cleaner while reducing odors. cattoys help you and your cat bond. most cats dont know how, dont care how to hunt some poor mouse down, kill it and eat it. this is taught to ferrel kittens slowly by their mother on a strickly need to know basis. most likely kitty will get bitten which may lead to life threating infections, mouse gets away finds other mice and infest your house.
[notify]

Tambolina

No...the magic- is still- here...!!!

Purred: Thu Apr 19, '12 9:53am PST 
Oh dear...you don't seem to have had real hate mail, but a lot of 'dislike-mail', and, indeed, I don't think I could do it (bring live mice in for my cats)....although, theoretically, it sounds like a good and logical idea.......

My cats are all outdoor/indoor cats and they often catch and eat mice and also, often, bring the poor little buggers in for me.....!! There are two little anecdotes I have re: cats and mice - both of which might put you right off the idea of bringing in live prey for your kittyperson......:

1) I saw one of my cats catching a mouse right outside our conservatory door, so I went out to try to get the mouse away from the cat......(and this is God's honest truth) the little mouse was standing on its hind legs with its little front legs up, facing up to the cat....!! It made me cry, and I was, luckily, able to grab the cat and bring it in, so the mouse could get away......

2) Another time, years ago, when my tabby cat (who had been a marvellous hunter) was very old, she somehow managed to catch a mouse and she brought it into the kitchen....I loved the old tabby, and I thought it would be a good idea to leave her with the mouse so she could remember the past glories of her hunting days.....so I shut the door on them....I went back a quarter of an hour later and found.....the old tabby sitting next to the mouse....companionably.....

What does one make of it all? I don't think it is a good idea to give your kittyperson live prey....actually, I don't think, if you tried it, that you could do it....but there must be something raw that your kitty would like......

Although, then, of course, you come to the problem of vegetarianism for humans....and round and round you go into ethics and 'not eating anything that has a face'.....I don't know the answer.....

Tambi loves raw minced beef and liver and kidneys and as she is a picky eater I have to give those to her sometimes (she loses weight easily as she is only tiny)....

Please let me know what you decide to do......?

Jan (and Tambi)
[notify]

Patricia

The Old Lady

Purred: Wed Jun 6, '12 1:34pm PST 
I can understand the OP's frustration. It is hard to make a DFA switch to wet or raw food.

Two questions must be considered:

1. Do you want crickets or mice in your house if the cat does NOT eat them? I don't think it is a guarantee the cat will hunt the animals and kill them.
2. How will you explain to other people you are using pet mice to feed a cat? I can imagine somebody asking what you feed the cat.

Remember if the experiment fails, you will have pet mice and crickets.
[notify]

Nyx

Purred: Sun Jun 24, '12 11:57am PST 
I just want to say in response to Patch: Live feeding is NOT illegal in the UK at all. It's "frowned upon" by many, but even they consider it perfectly acceptable in dire circumstances. Live feeding snakes/other carnivorous animals vertebrate prey should be a last resort to get them to feed, but it is by no means illegal in the UK, and does NOT require any kind of special letter from a vet.

Since it isn't illegal to live feed, and is merely frowned upon, you're well within your rights to do what you believe is best for your pet. I don't know where Patch got that information about getting a letter from your vet, but whoever told them that was yanking their chain. It's highly common practice for owners of snakes and carnivorous lizards to feed live when they refuse to eat anything dead for weeks on end (in the case of snakes, we can be talking several months, depending on age and size, during which the owner would have attempted to feed a variety of frozen whole prey, such as skinned mice/rats, day-old chicks, a rat inside a chick skin, all sorts), simply to keep them alive. However, when this occurs, they don't buy mice and rats that are intended as pets, they find a pet shop that breeds their own rodents for food stock and buy a live mouse that would have been killed to be fed, regardless.

I really just wanted to add this correction, because what Patch said simply isn't true. Is it morally correct or ethical? Maybe not, and not everyone would do it. Me, personally? I'd take the welfare of my snakes over a doomed-to-death mouse any day.
[notify]

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 14)  
1  2