GO!

Bone content

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

Kaylee

I'm a cute,- walking ball of- fur!

Purred: Wed Feb 29, '12 8:34pm PST 
I'm going to purchase 5 lbs of whole dressed rabbit ground and make cat food with it. Reading from a variety of sources, rabbit appears to be more boney (and too low in fat) than other meats such as Chicken. I've read some people add some plain meat (i.e. chicken) to dilute it.

If you prepare rabbit for your cat, do you dilute it and if so, how much?

Thank you.
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Thu Mar 1, '12 8:54am PST 
You are right - rabbit is not too boney but it IS too lean. I used to get 5 pounds of ground rabbit for Teddy and add .5 to 1 lb. of chicken fat and skin. That would bring me close enough to a double batch of Dr. Pierson's ground recipe so I would have the correct supplement amounts. If I were you I wouldn't add plain meat, I would definitely add skin or fat. You will have to chop it finely (kitchen shears work well) to mix it in. Also, make sure your rabbit is ground with organs included, or you'll have to add those as well.
[notify]

Blackberry

Somewhere there- is love for- everyone

Purred: Thu Mar 1, '12 9:48am PST 
I have also made it up with pork trim (meat/fat), about .75 lb for 5 lb of rabbit.
[notify]

Mandy

Leave me alone!- I'm trying to- sleep.

Purred: Sat Mar 3, '12 1:45pm PST 
Great responses. That's pretty much what I was thinking. Thanks.
[notify]

Mr. Softee

Purred: Mon Mar 12, '12 7:52am PST 
If you feed twice a day, you could do the rabbit in the morning, then something fatty with organs at the evening meal.
[notify]

Wilbur

The white is for- sugar

Purred: Wed Jun 6, '12 1:22pm PST 
Is it bad to only feed rabbit? When I had Wilbur he had to eat rabbit all the time because of allergies He was already overweight so I could not tell if it made a difference whether he ate chicken or rabbit nutritionally.
[notify]

Olivia,- Tanner, &- Finn

The Dyna Cats!

Purred: Wed Jun 6, '12 6:12pm PST 
Wilbur, rabbit is pretty lean, as others have said, and it is also lower in taurine than many other meats. If I had to feed nothing but rabbit for reasons of food allergies, I would definitely try to give a multi-vitamin and/or a taurine supplement.
[notify]

Wilbur

The white is for- sugar

Purred: Thu Jun 14, '12 8:38am PST 
Olivia, that was not a problemn for Wilbur and Patricia because they ate both wet and dry food made commercially for vets, not raw rabbits. So I had no way of knowing how much taurine they were getting from rodents with long ears.

What is the best animal for a domestic cat to eat?
[notify]

BK

Ambassador at- the Kitty U.N.

Purred: Fri Jun 15, '12 5:09pm PST 
Wilbur, this is the raw forum - that's why everyone was confused. If you're asking what the best raw meat is, it's good for a cat to have a lot of variety in their raw diet. BK has serious allergies too but he's done amazingly well on raw. PM me if you'd like to know more about his story.
[notify]