GO!

Raw for Kidney Failure/Hyperthyroid?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

Tabitha- *RIP*

Purred: Wed Nov 2, '11 2:46pm PST 
I haven't made her a page yet, but Tabitha is a former office cat at my last job (my vet/dad semi retired and closed his location) and she is about 12 years old, my sister had her at her house but Tabitha was literally wasting away to nothing, she was 6.9# on 10/1 and today was 4.7# (which is why she came home with me, she's not giving her the medications). We discovered she has hyperthyroidism as well as Kidney Failure. Tabitha REFUSES to eat canned food, but I know she will eat raw as she has stolen a couple of pieces from my dogs when they were at work with me. Are there any special dietary considerations that I need to make?

Edited by author Wed Nov 2, '11 3:02pm PST

[notify]

Alex (sweet- angel girl)

Angel on a- mission!

Purred: Wed Nov 2, '11 3:16pm PST 
I just wrote you a response about this in the health thread. smile
[notify]

Tabitha- *RIP*

Purred: Wed Nov 2, '11 5:13pm PST 
Thank-you so much!
[notify]

Gumpy Sweet- Boy

Love wrapped in- fur

Purred: Tue Nov 8, '11 6:14pm PST 
Hi Tabitha and family,

You could consider getting a consultation with Dr. Lisa Pierson. On her catinfo.org site, Dr. Pierson mentions that she does dietary (and more) consultations for older kittes with kidney and other issues. It's not free (obviously smile ), but it's just another possible piece of guidance that's available. She seems to be quite knowledgeable about raw food and special dietary considerations that may go along with feeding raw. Dr. P has as email addy on her site. I have been thinking about getting a consultation for Gumpy with Dr. Pierson, so I thought I'd mention this to you...

Best wishes!
[notify]

Amber

I didn't do it!

Purred: Tue Nov 8, '11 8:18pm PST 
For a cat with failing kidneys, it is recommended to dilute the protein content by adding plain cooked pumpkin or baby food squash to the recipe.

Check out this link.

They are referring to food made with their premix, but the concept should apply to any balanced raw diet.
[notify]