GO!

puking, ugh

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your cat's diet, please contact your vet!

Miss Tiny- Burr Burr

Love and adore.

Purred: Tue Oct 11, '11 9:30pm PST 
my cats are throwing up this past batch of raw food i made. im thinking about tossing it and starting over. thoughts?
[notify]

Allen

Just one of- Auntie Crazy's- crew.

Purred: Tue Oct 11, '11 9:56pm PST 
What were the ingredients, how did you make the food, what amount was served and how was it served (warm, cold, with warm or cold water mixed in, etc.). Also, where did you get the ingredients and have your cats eaten them before?

Auntie Crazy

Edited by author Tue Oct 11, '11 10:05pm PST

[notify]

Miss Tiny- Burr Burr

Love and adore.

Purred: Wed Oct 12, '11 8:07am PST 
chicken thighs w bone, chicken liver and heart. mixed supplments according to catnutrtion.org recommendations. egg yolks.

served cold for one, the other takes hers lukewarm ( picky cats)

got all the meat from the butcher. Yes they have had this before, which is why im concerned the meat is bad.
[notify]

Angel-Nu

puke with a- ribbon in it!

Purred: Wed Oct 12, '11 8:08am PST 
also:

all of it is ground in the meat grinder. the chicken is cooked lighty before grinding.
[notify]

Allen

Purred: Wed Oct 12, '11 11:35am PST 
If you have fed these ingredients before, in this type of mix, and not had any issues with it, I would offer it for two, maybe three meals (not in a row, if you can). If the cats throw up the food every time and your gut is telling you there may be something wrong with the batch, I'd follow my gut and toss the batch.

I've only done this once, and it was with rabbit (which is known to spoil quickly), but the whole point of home-preparing raw food for our cats is to provide the highest-quality diet we can. Feeding something your intuition says could be iffy is counter to the basic reason for raw-feeding, right?

Auntie Crazy
[notify]

Miss Tiny- Burr Burr

Love and adore.

Purred: Wed Oct 12, '11 12:28pm PST 
they have now went on a little hunger strike. I'm probably going to toss this batch and re-do. something in it spoiled, i think. or was spoiled when i got it. i dont know. They usually LOVE there food.
[notify]

Allen

Purred: Wed Oct 12, '11 2:46pm PST 
If more than one cat is turning up her nose and refusing the food altogether, I think I'd definitely toss it. Cats can tell if a food is spoiled beyond what their built-in defense mechanisms can handle. I threw that rabbit away because even one of my regular scarfers walked away from it. At that point, even though it didn't smell bad to me, I knew something was wrong with it.

I don't confuse this with someone being picky - that happens all the time and I ignore it, or use an enticement to deal with it. :~}

Auntie Crazy
[notify]